The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Stage Illusions :: King Rising :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I clicked on the link and it said the page is not available. Smile anyone else have that problem?

[quote]The jacket is not necessary, however without it, it would take misdirection to set-up....If Corey released a demo video of KR without the jacket, it's not possible to misdirect on film (Try fooling someone watching you do a card under glass on a video tape...it's impossible)

The video shows well enough as is..any other argument is moot
[quote]
I think that's the point people are making. If hiding the feet with the jacket will work on video, why not show that on the promotional video? It won't give anything away and it will show the full routine. What the video shows is the full effect but one third of the routine.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
miracle
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
95 Posts

Profile of miracle
Yeah, the demo is hosted at geocities.com and they have bandwidth control, so it'll be blocked sometimes when there're some people downloading the demo at the same time. You may try it again later. Or if your email box accepts big size email, I can send it to you (~3MB). Smile

Personally, I also don't like the promo video at ellusionist, but I treated it as TV commercial, not a demo video, that's my impression when watching it the first time. But it didn't disappointed me, as I don't trust TV commercials Smile So yes, I agreed with you that the promo is no good!
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I'm glad that someone finally gets what I am saying. It's impossible to misdirect the camera.

I want to make one fact straight -- I did NOT put together the demonstration video for King Rising. I am simply the guy 'behind the scenes', so to speak. All of the filming work was done by Brad. But, I stand by his decision, and I think the video is fine as is. Might not be how I wouldn've done it, but I know he had his reasons, and it will continue to be the promotional video that he uses from here on.

Jon, you are being way too anal about this, sorry. You say that because there is a 'set-up' involved you only really see one third of the routine on the video. Well, with misdirection, that is all you see, period. It's like doing card to pocket. You are doing a set up, by palming a card and bringing it to your pocket. Well, the spectators don't see that, because you are misdirecting them. They only see the end result, the card emerging from the pocket. It's the same thing as King Rising. They see the end result, you levitating.

You keep asking why the jacket wasn't shown, and I keep telling you the same thing over and over. I don't feel the need to keep defending myself, so if you want to continue to ask, then so be it, but don't expect to see any more responses from me regarding this issue.
Corey King
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Hm, whilst I feel the demo video is quite deceptive (towards the buyer), I do agree with KC on one point.

The method is quite obvious if you see someone actually do it with the coat.

No matter how good your misdirection is, any logical person backtracking the effect is going to remember you covering your feet.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Corey,
You continue to dig yourself into a deeper hole.
Would it be fair to "demo" a card to pocket and edit out the palms? For sake of not tipping the method? This is the logic you just explained.
And is completely unfair, to your customers.
I understand that this wasn't your decision but Brad refuses to explain himself in this forum.
He just send me nasty emails explaining to me what a bad man I am for not agreeing with him. Well he can email me as much as he likes I still feel that what he does is unethical, and I refuse to be bullied out of my opinions.
Just my thoughts,
Brent Braun
http://www.braunmagic.com
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Brent, I'm not bulliing anyone out of their opinions. To each his own. My goal isn't to change anyone's opnions on anything. Everyone has their own opinion on everything. I am just stating facts.

Brad showed me the emails he sent to you, and they were correcting your WRONG assumptions. I still have them -- would you like me to forward them to you?
Corey King
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
GEEZZ, the trick is only $17, CK has taken more heat for this than alot of other bad tricks on the market. Did you honestly believe that somebody was going to levitate without misdirection and angles coming into play. Smile Smile Smile
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
It's like doing card to pocket. You are doing a set up, by palming a card and bringing it to your pocket. Well, the spectators don't see that, because you are misdirecting them. They only see the end result, the card emerging from the pocket. It's the same thing as King Rising. They see the end result, you levitating.

And if I bought Card to Pocket without realising there was a set-up, when nothing in the video or the advertising says it is required, I'd be very disappointed and feel as though the set-up was being hidden from me.

Please don't get me wrong... it DOES look good but the video does not give the buyer the true story.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
When you purchased your first Scotch and Soda, did they demo the setup for you first? When you bought Card Through Window, did they show you the setup first? We could go on and on like this forever.. It's not misleading, guys...it's just the way it is....And if you say "Well, the jacket setup is a necessary part of the trick..", well, NO, it isn't IF your misdirection is strong enough....If you find the video misleading, then by all means, keep your position, and don't support it...but I think this thread has stated both sides, and it's taken on a life of its own, and the result is ugly....Let's let this thread die