The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Bill Switches at Restaurants....Do or Don't.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I know a few bill switches, slieght of hand and gimmicked but I just don't do them at restaurants... here's my thoughts on it... if I take a $1 or their $1 and change it to a $5 or whatever and keep it then they (the spectator) feel that they have given me a bigger tip... they (the spectator) feel as if they don't have to tip as much or worse when performing for a large table it somehow forces everyone at the table not to tip me more money...

I was however thinking about adding the this line and now am considering doing this for large tables:... I look at someone and say, do you have a $1 you can tip me, it puts them on the spot, if he/she says no then it kinda forces someone else at the table to say "oh I have a $1, I then grab the bill, tell them if what am about to do amazes you please everyone pitch atleast a $1, (now I've set the stage for more tips), I then change the bill to a mismade or $2 bill whatever the case may be...

I'm writing to hear your thoughts on this... should I do it, should I not... the downside is at big tables I sometimes get a $20 tip, do I take the risk in losing the $20 and possibly gaining more or cut myself short????

Junior Smile
J Rodriguez
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I don't have any experience in restaurants but I would never ask for a tip like that. I might ask to borrow a dollar and go into the effect, but I wouldn't ask for any tips.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Junior, hello...I agree with cablerock, keep the whole idea of tips out of your routines. If you do a bill change, do one and move on without discussing tips, etc. you'll get tips for being entertaining and being a nice, warm person, but the mere mention of tips can be quite off-putting so it could backfire on you. Entertaining magic and a charming personality will get you tips.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3100 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I AGREE with cablerock and Kaylan.......I open up almost every table with a bill change. Reason? People don't know me and I don't invade their personal space without them getting to know me a little...My approach is that of a giver, thanking them for coming to the restaurant, introducing myself and then giving someone a blank piece of paper.

I won't go into the whole routine, I'll just say the paper is (restaurant's name here) our way of saying thanks a million for stopping in today. I then change the paper into a Million Dollar Bill and give it to them.

They are shocked, know that I am someone worth seeing and depending on their responses will go into another routine. Often times, not always, but because I gave them something NOT expecting anything in return they often will tip me.......I do say, Thanks so much but that's not necessary we're just happy you chose (restaurant's name here)... Sometimes they say thanks and but the bill back in their pocket or purse. Others will insist and I graciously accept.

That's the difference between the sincere tipper and the obligatory tipper. I only accept tips from the sincere tipper. I want people to come back to see me often and don't want them to feel they have to tip or are coerced into tipping.

That's just the way I like to handle that situation.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I'm not a big fan of the tip inducing patter lines. But I work in Australia, where we don't really have a tipping culture, so that approach would go down like a lead balloon. If you are working for tips only, and I do the occcasional busking show, I know you really need to ask for the money.
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I have never used the Tip Me approach... its just a way I thought of going into a bill switch routine where I can keep the bill at the end and or don't have to change it back ***and at the same time possibly generate more tips...

great advice from everyone so far... I think I'm going to lean towards the "something for nothing" approach that davidpaul$ mentioned...that makes total sense to me...

thanks for all your input... keep them coming please...

Junior Smile
J Rodriguez
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
This subject has been covered and covered.
The majority of professionals think that hinting-around at a tip is very distasteful and a few believe it's down right low class.

This is not to be confused with "challenge" performers that utilize busker techniques indoors. Those people gear their performance toward an effect or routine that culminates in a reward.

This methodology is a different mode of thinking then a person with a number of routines and finishes by asking for money.

> Most performers that do a bill switch, and are successful at converting it into a tip, get a 5 or 10, turn it into a hundred snd back again. Then they lesve it on the table without giving it back snd without keeping it either.

Then the finally is performed. Sometimes the performer works-in that the last trick is worth the trip to the establishment. More or less aggressively depending on the performer BUT the majority believe that mentioning a dollar amount or begging for a tip is in bad taste.

----//
There was one thread, about a year and a half ago, where Café members listed the worst lines they have heard.
Basically most pros feel that if you have to ask for it then you are either working at the wrong establishment or you are not generating enough "magic" so the patrons want to tip you -as opposed to feeling obligated.

If they feel obligated you may have the reverse effect.... Instead of the patrons bringing their friends to the restaurant to see your wonderful magic they don't come back at all and/or they tell the manager that they didn't enjoy the experience.

O.K. That's what 90 percent of "the guys" believe. Take it from there and good luck.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes Jay covered a lot.

You did sum it up nice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
Bill switch, yes.
Read Jay's post first.
Have fun.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I have a very different perspective that does not apply to most people. I have been in restaurants where the House Magician has asked for some money and I knew he was going to perform the Bill Switch. I personally love the effect. But here is MY PROBLEM. I am OCD and so is my wife and the last thing I want to do while waiting for my Drink(s) or my Dessert is to go into my Wallet and retrieve some money. My reasoning is this my Hands are CLEAN and I do not want to reach in and get some dirty money from my wallet. This may sound odd to others but I am OCD with Hand Cleansing. I do not wash my hands 50 times per day but I do keep them clean.

Being a Magician myself I personally do not like a Magician who solicits tips in any way. If you do that at my table you will not get tipped at all.

Rod
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
294 Posts

Profile of mixman
I do use a TT bill switch in my restaurant routine, but here is how I handle it. I ask for a one dollar bill and only a one dollar bill.
It is easier to get the spectator to cough one up and no one feels uncomfortable. The bill I switch to is also a one dollar bill, but the face of Washington has had a mustache and goatee added with a pipe coming out of his mouth. All drawn with a sharpie. (That image happens to be my logo on my business cards). It is very visual and I have them keep the bill as a souvenir. Of course, this could also be done with any denomination of bill that you wish. But keeping the value of the bills the same keeps them from feeling either obligated to tip you or cheated that you just swindled them out of some cash.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I find the bill switch to be an outstanding opener also, but I use my own dollar bill and have it inspected. This takes any uncomfortable moments out of the routine.

About tips, just do a great job of entertaining your table and the tips will come.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com