The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Dan Fleshman's Linking Ring Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Does anyone have any comments about Dan's Chinese Linking Rings of the close-up version?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Dan performs Yanagida's routine--the same routine on which Shoot Ogawa's (Mr. Yanagida was Shoot's mentor) is based. While the production values of the video are not great, it is the closest thing to an actual restaurant magic video out there--Dan is performing live in a restaurant, with all the ambient noise, interruptions, grabby spectators, etc. He performs a couple other routines as well as the rings and then explains the ring routine. It is a solid routine.

On another note, I just spoke to Dan at length on the phone yesterday. he's had a rough go of it lately. he developed both carpal tunnel syndrome as well as "trigger finger" in both hands and has had to have a number of surgeries on his hands. He told me that, before the surgeries, his hands would just suddenly go numb and if perfoming the deck of cards or coins (whatever he was holding at the time) would just drop out of his hands to the floor. He's doing better, but he's not back up to his former level yet technically, and I know your prayers and good thoughts and wishes would mean a lot to him.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you, Scott. I did receive the video earlier this month. I was thinking the quality was going to be like your dvd of "Great Scott It's Magic." I was going to make some comments about what you explained in your first paragraph. But because of what you explained in your second I will add myself to his prayer list instead.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I do hope Dan gets better fast. Still remember his coin that falls up and ring and string.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
As Scott says, the video shows Dan working in a restaurant, whch I found inspiring. Dan is a real worker.

I'm so sad to hear of Dan's misfortune. He's one of the nicest people in magic.

Scott, is there an address where we could send Dan a card? Sometimes a cheerful good wish from people that love your work, but whom you never met can do wonders.

God speed for Dan's recovery!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Dynamike:

I have Dan's video, as well as the Shoot Ogawa DVD. There are several things I like about Dan's routine: Mainly, it can be done without a table (unlike Shoot's full routine). It is short and sweet. There are some good lines, especially the one where you ask a child helper if it hurt when the rings are banged together, "No? It's going to." I've used that line in my routine, and it does get a fine reaction.

I don't like the first link that Dan does. I've seen others such as Jay Marshall do it and I've never thought it looks good.

Overall, Dan's tape is excellent. Not as good as Shoot's which is a masterpiece of precision. I've taken elements of both to put together my routine.

Ron
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2003-11-23 10:21, MagicChris wrote:
Scott is there an address where we could send Dan a card? Smetimes a cheerful good wish from people that love your work, but whom you never met can do wonders.

God speed for Dan's recovery!!

Chris

Dan Fleshman
37 Meadow Spring Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Scott,
thanks so much for this info. From a spiritual standpoint ( whatever your convictions ) prayers and good wishes from "strangers" ( there are no strangers-just friends that have not met yet ) speed the healing process.

THANK YOU SCOTT!!!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier