The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: Science IS Real Magic: Sound can bend water... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Amazing experiment here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENITui5_jU

sdmagic
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
At least half of this looks like a film rate effect like wagon wheels rolling backwards on old Westerns or rope tricks under a strobe light.

It is very cool but I don't think it is really what it seems.

-Mary Mowder
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Mary:

I know what you are referring to, and the frame rate of his camera (24 fps) AND the 24 Hz sound (which is the same rate) may have created the appearance of globs of water being suspended/stopped in space (instead of water flowing down, which it is in fact doing.), but the bending of the stream appears real, and could be created by the sound waves.

The ability of sound waves to move/hold matter is seen in a related video (shows up when viewing the video mentioned in this thread),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIp8ESDshEw

scientists were able to get individual drops to float - the sound waves were used to create an interference
pattern that made the drops float (or be stable in the nodes of the interference pattern. This looked pretty amazing, but a similar demonstration on a flat-horizontal surface is common.

So, I would suppose that it is possible to bend a stream of water. Either way, I was surprised to see this.

As to the location of this, yeah, its not a rings & strings topic; maybe someone could move it.
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Also you can bend water with static electricity which looks pretty cool
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
There is a trick which I don't know the name of but you instantly freeze bottled water that's pretty cool have a look on the bang goes the theory website that's where I
found it
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
thethirteensteps
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of thethirteensteps
Has anyone determined if this can be done live or is it strictly the frame rate issue? And even if it was done with frame rate couldn't you duplicate that with a properly timed strobe light?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27305 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Good questions. I expect the verifiable findings are yes/yes.
...to all the coins I've dropped here