The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Haunted Key (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magic Nonno
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Magic Nonno
Can anybody suggest a book (or books) or magazine or notes or DVD where the "Haunted Key" effect is discussed in some depth? Thanks - Magic Nonno
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
A book entitled What Lies Behind The Doors by Ed Solomon. The Magic Warehouse has it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Booklet been out since Fun Inc. Started making the trick, called "Presenting the Haunted Key" by Dick Williams.

http://www.trickshopmagic.com/rmhaunboo.html

Roy Johnson has some totally new handling for this trick in his last lecture notes.

Many Ring Off string effects can be done with a key as well.
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
196 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
Do you have Barrie Richardson haunted key. ?
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Is this the same or similar ro the Spirit Key?
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Actually answered my own question. Which I suppose is just as well since the OP seems to have vanished.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I got a spirit key from penguin magic last october- cool deal.
Fun around Halloween. I say I found it near the local cemetary. I believe it may be haunted. I'm Surprised people buy that, but they do. And then they shriek when it turns by itself.
I didn't think I'd like the key very much-kinda novelty looking. But its actually a pretty fun little device.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Check out Lebanon Circles haunted Innsof England, great routine.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Tenacitiz
View Profile
New user
A pathetic total of
71 Posts

Profile of Tenacitiz
Haunted key is described in Paul Zenon's Street Magic.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1754 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
There's a chapter in "The Busch Factor" by Richard Busch.

Barry
Pomyles
View Profile
New user
Here
79 Posts

Profile of Pomyles
Robert Neale has a great story for haunted key named "A key in the door" in his book "Tricks of the imagination".
stevemorton
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of stevemorton
Dick Williams' booklet, Presenting the Haunted Key is the best I know.
One of the nicest things about this effect is you don't need anything other than a standard mortice key. Use a back gate/door/shed key, preferably borrowed, and just do it.
There are other Haunted Key effects that need special keys, but I don't think these are what the OP is asking for.
Steve
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
To interject, without I hope, totally knotting this thread, I also use the Haunted Key as the gaff in the "voodoo effect" : Jack Tillar's "BLISTER". (TARBELL Vol. 7, Lesson 91, page 379.

This effect, is somewhat like Paul Curry's OOTW. --i.e.: There are situations where it's an absolute killer. I don't do it as part of a routine. For me, it's a "Single O".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10004 Posts

Profile of funsway
Methinks an entire routine can be built around a Haunted Key. Perhaps others can contribute effects that could be done with the key -- even if that is not the original purpose.

for example, the Key on a looped cord is a necklace allowing for some ring on string effects. It is a pendulum. Many cigarette sleight might apply. It can be inserted into a falling cascade of cards to "randomly" select one. Use as a wand. etc.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Funsway!

Thanks for reminding me!

I always have a shoelace (ring on string stuff) in the close up case. I have looped the lace through the handle of the key, and let it swing over someone's hand like the old "sex detector" bit.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Sam Dalal has a Haunted Key on the market. It is longer than the FUN inc version.

It works very well, so much so you may have trouble slowing its turn.