The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: ROBERT ORBEN (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Is anyone else a fan of this man's work? I have only two patter pamphlets from 1950 and 54 from Louis Tannen Co in New York. Can anyone recommend any of his other works?
Even less known as David Kidd

Baltimore, Md. Curator of

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Try googling his name on that auction site (they don't allow us to mention it), also Amazon. I have everything he has written in the hardbound volumes, and I have corresponded with him. One of Tommy Cooper's major resources. Recommended books is the how to write material books. Bought my first one when I wax a kid (1950) Patter for Standard Tricks, still have it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Orben

He is 86 years old and still funny. What does that tell you about humor and health?
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Thanks for the response! I love his work. I have the same book.

Click here to view attached image.
Even less known as David Kidd

Baltimore, Md. Curator of

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I have photos from his first lecture. He was inspired to perform magic and be a speaker by my mentor Jim Swoger.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
IIRC he was a regular speech writer for President Gerald Ford. I'd be curious to learn more about that aspect of his career.
Martin Joyal
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Martin Joyal
>>> KIDDMAGIC

I have a few of Orben's books advertized on my web site. Please take a look at http://www.joyalstack.com/

Martin
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I have 4 of his Encyclopeda hard bounds for sale, out of six
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I used some of his material, as a teenager, in the '40s. It was good, but it didn't 'FIT" me!

I met Bob while staying at Magic Inc's "Charlie Miller Suite", in the '70s.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Bob Orben, what is there left to say? In their day his gag books were a 'must have' resource for magicians and comics. He released 40 soft cover booklets from the late 1940s until the early 1960s and in my opinion the earliest books were the best as the series declined in usefulness as time went on, the later ones were often based on topical situations that mean little today, though you do come across one or two useable gags if you like gems such as: "My wife told me she's going to dance on my grave - I don't care, I'm being buried at sea!".

Orben went on to release material in six hard back books through the 1960s and 1970s and his last book (no.47!) was more recent than that. The great thing about his material though is you can see how he is constructing his gags and you find yourself writing your own material by following his formula and adapting what he wrote. A lot of his early work wouldn't be appreciated in today's climate, you can't crack jokes about girls in tight sweaters or bouncing your secretary on your knee else you'll be called sexist. Even so there is a lot, a great deal in fact, that is very adaptable for today, after all an old joke is only old if you've heard it before.