The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Best DVD for card tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I will have to state my opinion here. I think nothing comes close to Books in terms of learning and honing and more learning. Darwin Ortiz, the great cardshark himself stated that Books are the ultimate reference. Videos are out there to complement books, not to replace them in any way. I watch a video and see a sleight and that is fine, but reading an expert book (eg. the expert at the card table, royal road, expert card technique, card college) has invaluable knowledge to learning sleights. I have seen a lot of videos explain (or semi explain) the pass but only after I read the complete works of derek dingle did my pass get any better. books are usually a lot more comprehensive on the subject at hand. Books are to be studied, videos are fun and should be a guide to presentation. I agree with loowhochan's comments. for a beginner a dvd might be the right way to start, but reading the sleight, then watching it being performed on video, then re-reading it again will get you so far. I am not here to state how anyone should learn. this was my path though, and I believe in it. I have bought dvds only to watch it maybe 2 or 3 times. then seldomly go back to them. I re-read my books so many times and use them so much more than videos. I wont be surprised if you all found you did the same thing. once again though, everyone is different. finanaceddragon stated his opinion...i did not find it very snobbish...it was just HIS opinion. and this is mine. If you feel you learn better differently then that is great for you.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I agree, david...I find myself learning a tricks more "fully" when I learn them from a book rather than a video...
~joeKing
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Tutorial videos from

http://e-magictrick.com are the best quality in my opinion.........

but I guess that's because there the only ones I've seen! Smile wait! I've seen three of McBrides from my friends collection. but that's card manip not card magic.

you'll only love e-magic if you've been into prestigitial stuff for awhile. you'll learn the correct ways to do them and when you do, you'll be able to create your own card tricks.

http://e-magictrick.com

nobody does it better. and its free Smile

free........... if you are a magician Smile
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Ammar's ETMCM gets my vote...
daryl's video are also one of the best...

eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-11-23 03:02, financedragon wrote:
I know the question was about DVD's, but I have to say that I think studying a book, much in the same manner as you would a textbook, is much better for developing your skills.

I have to respectfully disagree with Financedragon when it comes to learning card moves ("developing your skills") as opposed to learning card tricks. For card tricks, books are great. But for tricky card moves detailing finger placements and the move itself, I find that video is much easier to learn from.

A case in point: Steve Youell's two CDs on card moves are just about the best videos I have ever seen in explaining these difficult card moves (And they are cheap also). Steve not only shows you what to do, he also demonstrates what not to do and why certain things are critical to doing a move properly. Additionally, he shows the move and finger placements from multiple viewing angles. As you watch these moves being explained over and over and from different angles, a light bulb goes off in your head and you begin to undertand and appreciate the subtleties of the moves. It is just too difficult to explain these subtleties in text and with a few isolated hand drawings.

(IMHO)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
One nice thing about video/dvd is the fact that although some effects read dull, seeing them performed they are MUCH better than they read....

I own a multitude of dvds & videos, as well as an extensive library of books...Many of which compliment each other

The only advantage to a book, IMO, is you have to be HANDS ON while reading it, to actually get any idea of the effect....Watching video, I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) have a tendency to just watch a performance, and say "Wow...that's great....I'll try that out sometime" instead of being hands on from the beginning...
Hawky
View Profile
New user
Montréal, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Hawky
You can't go wrong with the Easy To Master Card Miracles seried by Ammar.