The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: IMS's 50-Vol video for $199?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
Guys, I read this ad on the MAGIC magazine...I think it's October 2003..on the last page, there's this ad that says, we can buy 50 vol of course video if we join IMS only for $199...is that right?? cause I couldn't find any information on their website...also, the stuff they teach on the video, are they new stuff or just repition of their marketed videos....

For example, the first 3 vol is about Bill Malone, does he teach new stuff or he just take a couple of his tricks from 'On The Loose' ??

anyone know anything about this??

thx guys...Smile
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Yeah I was rather confused by this as well. I did a lot of searching around on their website but could not find anything really useful.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
If I am not mistaken, the ad says that you can join the IMS for $25.00 and purchase the 10 disc dvd set for $199.00

The DVD's contain some of the greatest magicians of our day lecturing about their most prized creations. This set is comprised of old videos. The On The Loose DVD's came out way after these.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If I am to get anything for Christmas, I hope I can get my hands on this. *wink*
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
No no..it says "only $199 complete 50 - volume course on DVD"...
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Well I have to pay an extra 25 dollars because I am not an IMS member.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
If you read the ad carefully, you will see that it says "For IMS Members Only. IMS membership has its rewards! IMS membership is $25." Therefore, if you are a member, you can get this set for $199. If you aren't, you have to pay $25 to be a member (lifetime membership) and then you can get them for $199.

These were released as individual videos. I have a few--they are 30-45 minutes long. Much shorter than the typical video, but then, they were cheaper, too--less than $20 when regular vids were going for $40-50. Now all 50 for $199 on DVD--that's only $4 each, certainly WELL worth the investment.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
Yes, I'm aware of that...just now I tried to sign up the membership..and they ask me to choose 3 options :

1. free video ($5 shipping)
2. 10 video + free membership ($199)
3. membership only ($25)

I couldn't see where the 50-vol offer is..Scott, are you a member?? and also, the video, what's in it? are they just repetition of the marketed videos, or they actually teach new stuff??

thx...
Adam
View Profile
Regular user
UK
103 Posts

Profile of Adam
The fine print also indicates that you will receive 10 dvds, not 50, as each dvd contains 5 volumes. This may be the 10 video option referred to, but I'm just speculating.

Why is magic-consuming always so suspicious?
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I purchased the DVD set last year for $199 and have found it to be a fantastic bargain and very practical.
Like Scott mentioned above Each Volume used to be on a 30-40 minute VHS tape. 5 Volumes have been put on each DVD so the entire set is 10 DVDs. Many magic legends teach routines and techniques. Most teach very practical traditional magic. The production quality of the tapes is not up to par with the L&Ls or even the new Scott Guinn DVD, but you don't have to struggle to understand it. I have been particularly drawn to the magic of Derek Dingle and Dean Dill.
Magic is fun!!!
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I was actually considering paying the 25 bucks this morning. $199.00 for 50 videos is a freaking killer deal. Look at some of the names in the list too. It might be worth a look.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I have a few of their videos and while short in legnth, as Scott mentions, they have fantastic material on them.

I've ordered from these folks and even talked to Mr. Hassini on the phone. They were wonderful to deal with. I'm going to get this 50 vol. DVD set for Christmas.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier