The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: What book or video to get (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Hi, I want to get a new magic book or video. I am thinking of getting Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 5 but I have so many card books and videos I would really like to learn more of other types of magic. I have J.B. Bobos Modern Coin Magic and it is good but it seems like most magic other than cards don't impress me as much for some reason. They either seem too obvious to me as to how they are done or they require slights I can't do (mostly the first one ). If anyone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Some books and videos I have are:

Art of Astonishment 1
Art of Astonishment 2
Art of Astonishment 3
J.B. Bobos Modern Coin Magic
Easy to Master Card Miracles 2
Easy to Master Money Miracles 3
and I have alot more.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
496 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Anything by Gregory Wilson. Penn & Teller´s "How to play with your food", for the laughs if you find the tricks too weak.

HÃ¥kan

Smile
TheMagical1
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland
52 Posts

Profile of TheMagical1
Although how to play with your food is ammongst one of my favourite books I would strongly recommend, Epilogue by Karl Fulves or Expositor by William Frederick Pinchbeck, I think both are really good, as they cover a multitude of topics,
Michael A.
Sleight of Mind:- "A Great Place to Stop for a Break from Reality!"
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
Pinchbeck?!!!

A wonderful reprint for students of magic history, perhaps, but a poor recommendation IMHO for someone whose current books include the titles that Shane mentions.

You might find some mental magic of interest. Annemann's Practical Mental Magic is available in an inexpensive Dover edition and it's a classic. (Obviously, there IS some card work there, however with a mentalist, rather than a finger flinger slant.)
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Isn't this thread already in the pick a card any card forum? Well, if it is, read my reply there.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Yes it is. I posted it in the pick a card forum and realised that since I'm not talking just about cards, it might do better here.
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
I would recommend the first volume of "The Magic Menu". It has got a wide variety of tricks as well as some theory. As for a DVD, I would recommend "The Best of Jay Sankey". I like all three volumes but if I had to settle on one, I would pick volume three.

Jake
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org