The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Birthday Coin Date (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Dale A. Hildebrandt
Hello All,

I'm working on something that could prove very interesting. I know about the Birthday Paradox (23 or more people and you are very likely to get the same month and day). But I was wondering something and hoped you good folks could give me the odds or chances as well as the math behind all to follow:

What are the chances that a coin in someone's pocket has the same year minted on the coin as the person's Birthday year? (In USA coinage).

In other words how likely am I to get a hit for Coin's Date = Person's Birthday Year?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
To calculate that you'd need to know the distribution of coins in circulation by year, and that distribution will change every year. There will obviously be a greater percentage of recently minted coins than older coins, so the younger the spectator the more likely it is that one of the coins in their pocket was minted in the year of their birth. I doubt that you can get much more specific than that.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Good answer!

Mike
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
In addition, I am finding folks are carrying fewer and fewer coins nowadays and that is happening with bills also. I carry any money I need for an effect with me because of this situation. Unfortunately that doesn't help your idea.

John
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
If you have a copy of (the hard to come by) Pure Effect by Derren Brown you'll find an interesting effect which utilises the occurrence of dates on circulated coins; the effect is also detailed on his DVD for International Magic (both were released just as he was first appearing on TV, and well before he became a household name in the UK).

The effect itself is sadly no longer all that applicable, and if it were was perculiar to the British mint... so irrelevant to your specific request. However, it seemed worthy of a mention here due to the similarity in nature!

All the best

Owen
Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Now, for a similar question.

I have a fishbowl containing three of each coin from the years 1965 to 1990. Is it possible to calculate how likely I would be to get a hit on having a coin selected from the fishbowl match the birth year of an audience member? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
1/26; as long as you have an identical number of coins of each date and the spectator's birthyear is in the range. You get the same probability even if there is only one of each date.

/Tomas
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On 2013-02-02 10:28, TomasB wrote:
1/26; as long as you have an identical number of coins of each date and the spectator's birthyear is in the range. You get the same probability even if there is only one of each date.

/Tomas

That's correct as the probability for one individual. As the audience size increases the probability will increase. I think that's what the OP was referring to. If there are 26 people in the audience all born in a different year in the range then the probability is 1.00 (certainty).

You can't calculate the actual probabilities for a group without knowing how many audience members there are and what range of birth years they have.

If you have an audience of 100 old age pensioners then the probability is zero.

Mike
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
I see, I thought "an audience member" was a specific one on stage picking a coin at random. Dale, do you ask if a coin picked will match at least one audience member's birthyear? That's harder; see the post above.

/Tomas
Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Thanks Tomas and Mike.

Yes, Tomas, I am asking if a coin picked will match at least one audience member's birthyear. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt