The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Sword Box - Andrew Mayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
I decided to make Andrew Mayne's sword box, but tried to dress it up a bit. So I covered it in faux suede and added some banding and brass tacks on the edges. Finally I added some antique brass accents to the openings. I built the table from some left over wood I had in the basement (Birch Top, Pine Frame and Trim) and purchased the legs from Home Depot. The step stool was a $6 find at Michaels Art store. I decided to buy the swords as I had a particular look in mind, and at $16.00 ea, I almost could not make them for that money. But still uncertain about the green bamboo - may stain it dark, like rattan. Anyway - thought I would share. As always comments are appreciated.

Link to full res pictures: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2IZMnDhu5auTA

Stuart

Click here to view attached image.
Stuart Foreman
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Another image with the swords inserted..

Click here to view attached image.
Stuart Foreman
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Unusual and impressive!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Thanks Michael. Was going for a different look. A blend of old and contemporary.

Stu
Stuart Foreman
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
I like the over all look and effect of your materials.

Did you get your swords a Bud K? I find a lot of good deals of all types of blades there.

Well Done!
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Beautiful!
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Thanks for the compliments. I ordered the swords from "Swords of might" in PA. They were 19.95, and I got a discount coupon from the web for a bit cheaper. He has quite a wide variety and he ships really quickly. Got them in 2 days.

Stuart
Stuart Foreman
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Stuart:

That's very nice! I really like the contrast of the bamboo swords again the brown.

Ron
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Nice project, very different looking for stage work.

I would like to warn you about those small stools. They are very dangerous if one is not careful were the foot is places. They tip over easily. I almost broke my neck on one many years ago. So whoever you have step on it, make sure they only place their foot or weight in the exact center, otherwise, over they go.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5180 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Yep. Bill is right. Been there. Done that. Have a mark to prove it.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Very cool - thanks for the input. I will put a small dot in the center. Maybe attach black flat steel feet to the bottoms of the legs to stabalize. We do that on motorcycle kickstands, in flat black wouldn't be noticed and would add a lot to the stability.

Stuart
Stuart Foreman
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Stuart;
Ditch the stool completely. Those stools have a tendency to split lengthwise along the grain resulting in an injury. Those stools are bad news.

Instead make a stool like the bases Bill Smith used to supply with his broom suspensions back when he was building in California. They are as stable as it gets.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Magic Researcher do you have a link to a pic? Is it a tresell leg?

Thanks for the heads up.

Stuart
Stuart Foreman
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Quote:
On 2013-01-26 08:47, seforeman wrote:
I decided to make Andrew Mayne's sword box, but tried to dress it up a bit. So I covered it in faux suede and added some banding and brass tacks on the edges. Finally I added some antique brass accents to the openings. I built the table from some left over wood I had in the basement (Birch Top, Pine Frame and Trim) and purchased the legs from Home Depot. The step stool was a $6 find at Michaels Art store. I decided to buy the swords as I had a particular look in mind, and at $16.00 ea, I almost could not make them for that money. But still uncertain about the green bamboo - may stain it dark, like rattan.
Stuart

Very impressive Stuart... I really like your design. Quick question- I have been thrilled with some of Andrew Mayne's material, yet I have also been disappointing by some of his material. He sells the instructions for his Sword Basket for I believe $20... to me, this seems awfully cheap for illusion plans. Were the instructions easy to follow for an amateur builder like myself? Also, about how much did you spend on the total product? Thanks so much.
~Ben
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Thank you for the compliment. It was very easy, and you get the plans, performance and assembly instructions and a video too. The only thing that took long at all was getting the coroplast. I assembled the box in 1 day (took my time). It took me another day to cover it with fabric. The table took another day and half (with staining,etc). The cost: Coroplast 45.00 (and to buy 10 sheets, but only needed 6). 3 Yards of fake suede (7.99 a yrd) $24 dollars, The table was made with existing lumber, but I purchased the legs at Home Depot for 4.50 each - 18.00. Swords were 19.00 each - but I got a discount of 20% becuase I found a web coupon, with shipping was about $80.00 - so total was $167.00. Figure 180.00 all in with misc. items.

Obvisoulsy - without the fabric or table this would drop the price quite a bit. And if you make his swords - the would work out to be a bit cheaper.

Stuart
Stuart Foreman
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 06:50, seforeman wrote:
Thank you for the compliment. It was very easy, and you get the plans, performance and assembly instructions and a video too. The only thing that took long at all was getting the coroplast. I assembled the box in 1 day (took my time). It took me another day to cover it with fabric. The table took another day and half (with staining,etc). The cost: Coroplast 45.00 (and to buy 10 sheets, but only needed 6). 3 Yards of fake suede (7.99 a yrd) $24 dollars, The table was made with existing lumber, but I purchased the legs at Home Depot for 4.50 each - 18.00. Swords were 19.00 each - but I got a discount of 20% becuase I found a web coupon, with shipping was about $80.00 - so total was $167.00. Figure 180.00 all in with misc. items.

Obvisoulsy - without the fabric or table this would drop the price quite a bit. And if you make his swords - the would work out to be a bit cheaper.

Stuart

Would paint be able to take place of the fabric? The only color of the chloroplasts Home Depot had were white, and I wanted to have the box black.
Thanks so much!
~Ben
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
You could paint coroplast - however you would need to "scuff" the surface up a bit, its quite smooth and being made of plastic - not very porous. You might want to use either the Krylon or Rustoleum spray paint for plastic.

Stuart
Stuart Foreman
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Quote:
On 2013-02-20 12:36, seforeman wrote:
You could paint coroplast - however you would need to "scuff" the surface up a bit, its quite smooth and being made of plastic - not very porous. You might want to use either the Krylon or Rustoleum spray paint for plastic.

Stuart

Thanks so much... I really appreciate it Smile