The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Tommy Wonder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
OK, I don't know if this is in the correct place to post this but after watching his DVD series, the man appears to be a mechanical engineering wiz. I know he studied acting and performance arts but does anyone know if he studied engineering or was he self taught? His work on the nest of boxes is quite thought provoking and his take up reel is apparently self made also.

Alan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tommy Wonder was a jeweler by trade. Thus his skill with working with small movements pieces.
mikefallen
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mikefallen
Tommy wonder was a very clever magician! All he presented worked well and was mostly simple (minus his nest of boxes I would say). He had a lot of talent and skill. I love his work
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Seeing Tommy Wonder perform, just puts a big smile across my face. I need to get the DVD set.
Even less known as David Kidd

Baltimore, Md. Curator of

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Tommy Wonder was the man - he left us way too early! He is among the creative Dutch folks...Anverdi and Kapps also included this bunch just to name a few!!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On 2013-01-24 16:01, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Tommy Wonder was a jeweler by trade. Thus his skill with working with small movements pieces.

That explains the brilliant card to ring box effect! Yes, we all miss Tommy Wonder. Lynn
Macphail
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Macphail
There is an article in Books of Wonder in which he writes of the benefit of having one's own workshop and crafting one's own gimmicks. I can't imagine having the time
, but it's certainly the dream!
Macphail
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Macphail
Incidentally, if you keep your eyes open when visiting shops in which products handcrafted in India or elsewhere are available, you can find ornate little boxes for the ring box, or any number of effects. Even if the box is just a curiosity, it injects a level of mystery when something is found inside.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-05-24 14:57, macphail wrote:
There is an article in Books of Wonder in which he writes of the benefit of having one's own workshop and crafting one's own gimmicks. I can't imagine having the time
, but it's certainly the dream!

Ironic that you would post this in The Workshop, because that's pretty much what we all do here! Smile LOL
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Moncle
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Profile of Moncle
It is surprising what you can achieve if you just go for it, if you want something bad enough you find the time.
I don't have a workshop, but have managed to make the ring box, the cups and balls set, Tamed card sets, just on a patch of carpet in my spare room.

I ain't that clever either, and the feeling you get when you have made something that you can use in performance is rather nice.

Michael from England.