The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: Starting over today, What would you collect? (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
Very interesting read from your link. Yes history sometimes happens by accident, this is a classic example. Thanks for sharing paul
I don't understand all I know about this
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I used to covet and collect magic books, but now I have a family so I can’t afford the cost and closet space anymore. But if I had the space and money, I would be neck high in books by now.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Besides space and money, my magic book collection ended due to lack of time. The busier I became with family and work, the less time I had for reading. So rather than continuing to accumulate books I would "someday" read, I stopped collecting. Sadly, many great titles have passed me by as I grit my teeth. Yet, discipline has prevailed, and hopefully I'll catch back up when time and money allow, (I'll always find space).
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
mxmln
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of mxmln
I am retired and have been very interested in magic and puzzles for roughly 50 years. I am an amateur but have done some semi-professional work over the years. Collecting has been a large part of my magical life and I am fascinated by the methods and technologies that have encompassed the field over the last 150 plus years. My professional background is in science, mathematics and other forms of applied technology. My collection is pretty much eclectic and based on me being just fascinated by the effect. However, I have and still acquire props made over many decades by many of the great manufacturers. A particular interest of mine is in magic or mentalism or just puzzles based on chemistry and physics. Is there anybody else out there with this same focus???
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Although I have a rather large apparatus collection, I tried to acquire the best items from certain builders. That means not all items from a builder. What I thought to be the best items varied from décor, effect, easy to do, price, and size. If I were to start over, I would use that same criteria. Not sure, but I doubt that even the most famous magic collectors do not have all effects from a certain builder (example: Thayer). So I would suggest to new collectors, obtain what you like and years later, you will still like the items in your collection. Bob
socalguy
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
51 Posts

Profile of socalguy
Very simply:
Alan Warner
Magic Wagon
Francois Danis
All will hold their value and more!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2020, bobmag56 wrote:
Although I have a rather large apparatus collection, I tried to acquire the best items from certain builders. That means not all items from a builder. What I thought to be the best items varied from décor, effect, easy to do, price, and size. If I were to start over, I would use that same criteria. Not sure, but I doubt that even the most famous magic collectors do not have all effects from a certain builder (example: Thayer). So I would suggest to new collectors, obtain what you like and years later, you will still like the items in your collection. Bob

Right on.

Same philosophy applies to folks who try to anticipate a prop's future worth, and collect as an financial transaction. That's fine of course if that's what you choose, but your collection will become a portfolio of investments versus something that gives you relaxation and joy. Collect what is worth the most to you, and it will always be priceless.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2021, socalguy wrote:
Very simply:
Alan Warner
Magic Wagon
Francois Danis
All will hold their value and more!

Interesting choices. Are they in order?
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
This is a GREAT IDEA for a thread!
Oh wait, I was the original poster,,,,, in 2013.
Some things just never get old Smile
Smile
EXCEPT ME!
Daniel Le Bateleur
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Daniel Le Bateleur
For me it's always been books for 45 years. I consider it somewhat of an investment and I will be selling my books soon.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Still remember that “golden age” of magic literature back in the 1980’s and 1990’s when Ed Marlo had his private manuscripts available for sale (particularly Marlo Magazine, Riffle Shuffle System) and L&L publishing were releasing their deluxe limited edition.
On the magic side, Owen, Lassen, CW/Signature Pieces, Milson-Worth are gone. Others like Gerlitz, Babcock, Riser, Wolf, Rose/5♥️, Bergmann have basically cut down tremendously or stopped.
The only great craftsman still going strong is Alan Warner.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
I would add the name of George Robinson @ Viking/CW as a contemporary "craftsman" certainly to be reckoned with...

Julie
lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2013, Jim Sparx wrote:
Catalogs. I can't afford apparatus. However, if you have deep pockets, Stevens Magic is selling about 200 pieces of Thayer magic.
Father Photius will inherit my catalog collection (going on a thousand) to sell as a donation to the Church or send to the Conjuring Arts org.

With all of my hobbies and collections, I have become increasingly interested in catalogs over the years, and have made a more concerted effort of collecting them. They give really interesting snapshots into the state of various hobbies and professions at specific points in time, and are good for studying trends over time.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Mis-spotted dice.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
My collection is all over the place and whatever kind of hits my fancy.. Al though not enough money for my tastes..

But I think I would of kept all of my old Tenyo stuff rather than selling it.. But I didn't collect it religiously. And still have some of my old stuff but not all of it in orig boxes.. So many Tenyo items due to the cost.. But I would of wished maybe I set my eyes on one line of magic such as P&L items and Collectors Workshop.. Various Ball & Vases.. But I am certainly happy with what I have right now..

All though it kills me when I read John Gaughan's column in Genii and these AMAZING items and what their prices were back then.. So I want all of that too LOL
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
johnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
13419 fitzhugh road austin tx 78736
103 Posts

Profile of johnmagic
I think the Magic that David Powell is putting out right now is the top quality of Magic being produced today .if I started a collecting today I would buy all of David Powell’s Magic. Sometimes you have to wait months but I think it’s worth the wait. I would’ve also bought more of Todd Lassen coins luckily I was able to get a few things in the last couple years.