The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Darwin Ortiz On Card Cheating -Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5211 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Need a review for this video: Darwin Ortiz On Card Cheating.
Text from Ad:
"Darwin Ortiz - Darwin literally wrote the book on card cheating; now he's made the video too. If you've studied The Annotated Erdnase, this video will show you what those moves should look like. If you love great sleight of hand, you will thrill in seeing some of the most sophisticated card techniques in existence performed by a true expert. See 60 sleight-of-hand card cheating techniques demonstrated to perfection, including 21 false shuffles and cuts; 6 runup shuffles; 8 false deals and 21 palming and switching techniques. Among the 60 techniques are many that have never been revealed on video before. Produced by cinematographer Bill Taylor with a six man Hollywood crew, this is a true state of the art video."
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
It is fantastic, and the ad is completely truthful. Keep in mind that it does not teach any moves, it just shows how they are done. But if you have studied the moves before and want to see how they look done by a pro, this is the video to get.

I love it.

If you have any other questions, PM me

Craig
Who is John Galt?
Vasilis
View Profile
Regular user
Greece
146 Posts

Profile of Vasilis
It is an excellent tape,indeed.The quality is by far the best I've ever seen in products dealing with magic subjects.Close-up views,captures from every angle,from behind,from the sides,even from under a glass made table,in order to expose an incredible three cards palm while shuffling the deck.
The tape is available only in NTSC format and hard to find.I think there are some copies in H&R,not very sure about this.There is also a Russian site that it has a preview clip in MVM format,here:
http://diamondjoker.narod.ru/vcd.html
Because the whole site is in Russian language,just put your mouse on the blue letters looking like hyperlinks and try to find out 4 letters that they guide you to the downloadable link.It is an extremelly slow loaded site,so have patience.But,this clip is a nice abstract of what the tape contains.

Hope this helps
Vasilis
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I think Darwin Ortiz is one the best Card teachers out there! I would highly recommend this set of DVDs and his "At the Card table" series also.
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
The "Darwin Ortiz on Card Cheating" video is a wonderful video, especially if you're interested in the various card cheating techniques out there. I think few magicians can compare to the range & technical ability of Darwin Ortiz when it comes to executing card cheating sleights.

I found this video to be highly enjoyable and educational. As I have a great interest in card cheating techniques, I find myself watching this tape many times to see Ortiz execute these sleights with precision & perfection. I like all the three sections of this tape (false cuts/shuffles, false deals & hand mucking). I personally love the false dealing section, and you can watch Ortiz execute all the various false deals, eg. seconds, bottoms, centres, one-handed, greek, etc. As mentioned by Vasilis, there are many different camera angles (even from under a glass table) so you can monitor the moves carefully.

One of the highlights of the 1st section is the demonstration of some highly sophisticated riffle stacking moves. Very impressive indeed.

I think the 3rd section (hand mucking) is very interesting, as Ortiz performs many sleights which I think you'd probably not see in many other videos (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I believe many of the hand-mucking techniques demonstrated by Ortiz are highly sophisticated and specialized, and not many cardmen can execute them to the level of proficiency that he can.

Hope this has been helpful!
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
I agree Jem, Ortiz simply is the best "cheater" out there, although he has to much morale to actually cheat......at least I think so. haha
Who is John Galt?
danielchua
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
119 Posts

Profile of danielchua
Does Darwin has any DVD released? I am looking hard for it...any idea??
maurile
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
102 Posts

Profile of maurile
The Ortiz video is not nearly as complete as Steve Forte's tapes, but it's also a lot cheaper.
catbertek
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of catbertek
Maurile,

you read my mind! I already own the Forte tapes and
was wondering if I should get the Ortiz tapes as well.
I am sure there would be quite a bit of overlap but
that does not bother me if I get some "gold" material
out of them.
Sounds like I would and so they go on my shopping list.

Thanks for all the info, everyone!