The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Boudoir Bill Divination... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Just a heads up that Docc released his most recent Doccinar - The Boudoir Bill Divination. You can see it here:

http://www.docchilfordproducts.com/boudoir-bill-divination/

I haven't seen this yet so can't comment yet. Any of you who have let us know.

Dan
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
This looks indeed very interesting!
kiki
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I just went through this very quickly. My main interest was to find out if the method was another application of the Boudoir Q&A type switch. It is not. This is almost impromptu, reasonably easy, and flows very smoothly.

So if you want an easy to do powerful serial number divination that you can do up close or on stage this is it.

~ Dan
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
How is this different from E. Raymond Carlyle's bill serial devination?
B&B Magic
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of B&B Magic
This uses an additional prop as cover.
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Ventman, you asked: How is this different from E. Raymond Carlyle's bill serial devination?

I LOVE Ed Fowler's creations but I'm unfamiliar with his serial devination -- and I'm unable to locate it on his site. Would you kindly provide a URL or other info?
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
It's his "Opener My Way" on The Carlyle Touch DVD An evening with E Raymond Carlyle. A dollar bill is borrowed, crumpled, and tossed to a member of the audience. Then the mentalist reveals the serial number while the audience member is holding it. See http://www.carlyletouch.com. Jheff did a review on this DVD as well. Look on marketplaceofthemind.com
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
And Dr. Jak's did the same thing prior to Carlyle. That isn't to take away from Carlyle. If you think about a serial divination there are only so many ways to go about it. This being an open forum I really don't want to say more.

In the first few minutes of the video Docc discusses Carlyle. After that he covers Dr. Jak's and several approaches he used. Right there you have several approaches you can use. That is also as far into the recording as I have made it so far.

The main thing in Carlyle's routine was a presentational justification for the handling. Again that has been used in various contexts for years. It was shared with me in the context of the $100 Bill Switch in the early 1980's and was usually credited to Gaeton Bloom. The notes I have from Carlyle are dated 2001 although I'm sure he used it prior.

Please don't see this as taking anything away from Carlyle. He assembled a good combination of ideas for an effect.

What you are getting from Docc is his handling of the bill divination with Jon Stetson's addition, how to present it in various contexts and audiences, and a discussion of the psychology behind these types of effects. Again I haven't seen that part of the recording yet but we have talked about it before. Should be good. The total recording is over an hour long. If you know Docc you know you aren't just getting a basic effect - you get the whole package and ideas you will use in other contexts. And he is releasing an update next week that all purchasers get for free that adds some thoughts from Bob Sheets on how to use this with the newer plastic currency.

Full disclosure as always - I am a business partner with Docc and run the Internet side of things for him. He is out of the country doing shows and a little hard to get a hold of right now.

Thank you all for your interest.

~ Dan Strange
overflow
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
160 Posts

Profile of overflow
Hi all,

does this work just with dollar or euro too ?

Thanks
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Yes it does!
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Ok I finished watching the video. The actual effect I discussed above. In addition to that here is a list I made of the rest of the contents:

> - Dual Reality vs Psychology
> - Creating False Memory
> - Blocking for different venues
> - Making things memorable
> - Slydini? How can he help.
> - Psychological Distance
> - Predicting Numbers?
> - Failing Numbers?
> - Perfection vs Not Always Correct
> - Calculated Risks
> - Alternate handling and presentation for a Larry Becker coin effect
> - Natural vs. Unatural actions
> - What denomination of bill to use
> - Ways of revealing the numbers
> - Visibility of money
> - Audiences: Corporate vs Home vs Resort vs Las Vegas
> - Who to please when you perform
> - Dynamics of different audiences
> - Lessons from Pickpockets
> - Getting the Dollar back
> - A cool trick with a Dollar and a Dime
> - An untested left field idea
> - insights and observations from: Keller, Thurston, Orville Meyer, Dr. Jaks, E. Raymond Carlyle, Larry Becker, Kevin Burke, Jon Stetson, Bob Sheets, Slydini, and more.
> - Tag Lines

Bottom line for me. If I only had this part and no effect I would have plenty to apply to everything else I do. If those topics are interesting to you from a the perspective of a working pro then check this out.

Http://www.DoccHilfordProducts.com

This should work with any currency and there is a free update coming next week to handle special currency like the plastic based bills.

Again I work with Docc but I think that is an objective view of this release.

Dan
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I emailed what I just wrote to Docc and he sent me this from Bob Sheets "That would be a pretty good seminar without a trick!"

Hope that helps some of you.

~ Dan
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
Thanks Dan. Sounds great.
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Demitri
I saw mention of the use of an additional prop for this. Without asking for too much, is this prop magic related, or just an everyday item you would have laying around the house?
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Everyday item you'll find wherever you are performing.
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Demitri
Thanks! It wasn't a deal breaker (when it comes to Docc, there's never a deal breaker), but I was just curious.

Off to find my wallet!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
OK, I know we are mentalism geeks and all the crediting and description of the contents (really nice job,Dan, and I also thought that even if the effect was missing this is a great tutorial) is important but I can't grasp how no one has mentioned The Shining! This was freaking brilliant!

How does Docc consistently and frequently release such top notch material, let alone weave in these wonderful special effects, and have time to perform, eat, sleep, etc. THAT is the secret I want to learn!

Boudoir Bill is really fantastic and my only complaint is I didn't use the title first!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Bill, he does not sleep, he is one of the..., oops, never mind.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 12:44, Bill Cushman wrote:
OK, I know we are mentalism geeks and all the crediting and description of the contents (really nice job,Dan, and I also thought that even if the effect was missing this is a great tutorial) is important but I can't grasp how no one has mentioned The Shining! This was freaking brilliant!

How does Docc consistently and frequently release such top notch material, let alone weave in these wonderful special effects, and have time to perform, eat, sleep, etc. THAT is the secret I want to learn!

Boudoir Bill is really fantastic and my only complaint is I didn't use the title first!

What is the Shining.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 14:06, Steven Conner wrote:

What is the Shining.

The Shining is a horror movie starring Jack Nicholson and Shelley DuVal and directed by Stanley Kubrick. It's based on a Stephen King novel.

This is a great effect and well worth the money. Even without the effect itself, there is much to learn from the Doccinar. They just seem to be getting better.