The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Promotion, socialization, and the creepy guy... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
I am mainly a magician, but in the last few years my clown friend has got me into balloons. Now I want to get more into restaurants and such to get a little more steady income, as shows are kinda random as you know. I do a few festivals and farmers markets but they are few and far between.

My question is, how do you promote yourselves as balloon artists? Besides online or word of mouth. I'm currently running a store and I've given out more cards by just mentioning that I do magic and balloons to customers, but this is a seasonal store, and the rest of the year I sit and wait by the phone. Is it creepy or weird to be out at a mall shopping, see a child and give them a balloon? Or how can I make it LESS creepy? This seems like it would strike up a conversation and be able to give out a card, I just don't want to cause trouble. Since I don't have another job to socialize with people I need to figure out how to connect with people without being a weirdo... MORE of a weirdo...
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Creepy and weird has nothing to do with balloons. It is all about personality.

I have started making a quick balloon dog and giving out a card when I go places. A balloon-twisting, clown friend of mine has been doing it for years. I started after I saw how people's faces light up when the balloon is given in a fun way.

I start blowing up the balloon and ask the person, "Do you have a little person in your life?" I have found that if I phrase it this way I get a better response. If they are too young or old to have their own kids they just take it as if I'm asking about a little brother or sister and if they are too old they assume I am asking about grand-kids.

Saying, "...in your life" works better than "Do you have a little person at home?" This covers blended families, friends, cousins, baby-sitting, etc.

It will only come off creepy if YOU make it creepy. Be fun, respect them, and smile.

If I am giving the balloon to a child I always hand it to the adult and say, "This is for him" that way they decide when (and if) to hand it to the kid and you make it clear that you are interested in dealing with the adult.

I wedge my business card in the front legs of the dog so that I only hand them one thing.

When you go through a fast food drive-through window make one between the order speaker and the pickup window and hand it to them. Make them for people when you have to wait in a line (grocery checker, bank tellers, etc.) Just remember that people are working and don't waste their time and don't do anything to get them in hot water with their boss.

That's the easy answer.

The harder thing is that this will not lead to many gigs. It is fun to do, brings and smile, and lets you get into fun conversational but this is not going to get you many gigs.

Don't wait by the phone, promote yourself just like you do for your magic. The Café has a lot of discussion threads on promoting your business.

Hope it goes well.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

I like that. Good tips. I wonder though, why doesn't it lead to gigs? If I'm out and about letting people know what I do, why wouldnt a small percentage turn into gigs? I know just passing out cards doesn't do it, but some percentage does.

I'm trying my best to promote myself, but I'm always trying to think of creative ways as well as traditional ones.

I'm always on the tricky business section, but they shoot down my ideas.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I may have overstated it. I have gotten leads and built relationships that have led to gigs. But, I wanted to be realistic. Making a balloon dog for an overworked grocery checker is not usually going to lead to a gig but it ALWAYS leads to a smile.

Just do it for fun and to brighten another person's day.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
Here is something that works well for me: I workout at the local YMCA. Occasionally, I'll take a relevant piece in and set it on the front desk. For example, the next thing I give them will probably be a Valentine's bouquet. I leave my cards there too. (Obviously, the Y is OK with this) After a few days, I'll remove it or replace it with a fresh one. If there is a holiday, I make something related to that. Sometimes I make something related to the Y, like a sports item. Sometimes I'll just use a flower bouquet.

This is something that always helps my business. I get birthday parties and delivery orders from this. You could do this with any business. I just do it at the Y because I go there frequently and they are helpful with it.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

I am REALLY liking the ideas. Talking to balloon guys seems to be more helpful then some magic guys....
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I promote by being out there.

Restaurants are my main source of leads. I do between 6-10 restaurant gigs per week and every table gets a card.

Also I talk to people everywhere... bank grocery store... I keep a portfolio on my phone and if they want see my stuff I show them.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Mark: 6-10 seems like a lot. How long do you perform? Do you get paid by the restaurant, tips, or both?
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 19:11, Kameron Messmer wrote:
Mark: 6-10 seems like a lot. How long do you perform? Do you get paid by the restaurant, tips, or both?

Paid by the Restaurant. And Get tipped.

Monday 2 hrs
Tuesday 2 hrs
Wednesday 2 hrs
Thursday 3 hrs
Friday 3 hrs
Saturday 3 hrs morning 3 hrs 2-5pm, 3hrs 6-9pm
Sunday 3 hrs morning, 2 hrs evening

Total 26 hours performing per week Add into that at least 2 shows per week.
30+ performing hours per week.

Rest of time booking shows.... and making comments on Facebook and MagicCafe

It's like having a regular job.... just when I'm off nobody else is!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Mark: THAT is incredible. I wish I could find enough restaurants to hire me. Most have trouble seeing the value in it. It also probaly helps being where more people are...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
I love collecting smiles. Much better than a cold this time of years.

Yes I get more smiles than gigs, sharing a balloon or magic routine on the spot.

Other perks include better service and an occasional upgrade / discount on a product.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Lady Vee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Lady Vee
Balloon Busking - you reach so many people in such a short space of time - I've picked up countless gigs through busking!