The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Dukes Dye-Version ?? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2014, Jonty wrote:
Thanks Jim. Does anyone know if it's available in the UK?

The e-Books describing how to make the various versions of the effect and perform them are obviously available worldwide on the Web. As far as I know, Madhatter Magic will ship the special silk deal to the UK.
Jonty
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Jonty
Brilliant, thanks Jim, I'll check them out.
Jonty the Magician
Children's Entertainer in West Yorkshire

www.magicadabra.co.uk
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
My "replacement" streamer is this one: http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20R......mers.htm

Goldfinger and Dove would be proud!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
I seem to remember that Duke's original dye tube was a tomato sauce can.
Anyone corroborate this?

Julie
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
As I remember, it was a Contadina Tomato Paste can.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It was a Contadina Tomato Paste Can.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Hi, is there a video / Dvd showing the Mongolian silk mystery or Dukes version, Thank you magicwalsh@gmail.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Wally -

Marty Hahne has shared a performance video of Duke's Dye Version:

This link has been mentioned on other threads.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2022, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Hi Wally -

Marty Hahne has shared a performance video of Duke's Dye Version:

This link has been mentioned on other threads.

- Donald

Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know the maker of the silk streamer that Marty uses?

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Marty and Brenda I believe do their own silks.
I have made them with a red piece on the end and a blue on the opposite end of the streamer. This lets the kids have a delayed response and they still think nothing has happened. Then boom, it comes out the multi color.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2022, hugmagic wrote:
Marty and Brenda I believe do their own silks.
I have made them with a red piece on the end and a blue on the opposite end of the streamer. This lets the kids have a delayed response and they still think nothing has happened. Then boom, it comes out the multi color.

Thank you, Richard. This was my first time seeing a streamer like the one Marty is using in the video (horizontal stripes of color). It's interesting.

Mark
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My stripes run the length of the streaer just the ends are dyed. The advantage is you can fake pulling more silk out by just moving your hand. The vertical stripes like the Rice Streamer are a real pain to make.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
To be honest, Richard, it would be a lot easier to consider your products if you hosted more photos. I guess I'm too much of a rookie because I still don't understand what your streamers look like.

Mark
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes, it would be nice if Richard had more pictures... but rest assured, Richard's silks are the BEST!

I've bought three of his streamers for the Dye- Version effect: 2 of them were the lighter weight 6 momme silk fabric, and one in a heavier 8 momme silk.
In either case the colors are rich and the fabric is perfect! Beautiful hems , too!

And you know, I know my silk! I wouldn't attempt to dye this myself and I consider Richard's products sot be unequalled in magic today.

Here's a picture of how the dye pattern is on one of Richard's streamers. I don't think this is actually Richard's work... but his pattern is identical and it represents what Richard's work will look like.

It is 3 long bands of color running the full length of the silk. There is a little 'bleed' where those three colors overlap, which gives us the impression of at least 5 colors. Red, yellow, blue, green , and orange

Click here to view attached image.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
If you look at Richard's demo videos, you can see streamers in some of them like the phantom tube and bamboo mat production.

I am waiting for him to come out with some more psychedelic designs to match up with his new appearing hemp plant designs, LOL.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2022, FrankFindley wrote:
If you look at Richard's demo videos, you can see streamers in some of them like the phantom tube and bamboo mat production.

I am waiting for him to come out with some more psychedelic designs to match up with his new appearing hemp plant designs, LOL.

Slightly off topc, but it is an incredible example of his creativity and skill. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/flower-bu......d-hughes
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The weight of the silk that goes into the paper is not too critical as there is a lot of room. The critical is ones that fit in the tube fake as that has a limited space.

As for the Linkedin post. Yes, it was a custom job for someone and I have since sold two other units.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
My good friend Norris Priest just performed Duke's Dye Version at our IBM Ring 56 Banquet this week after giving a little history about it. He was actually at Duke Stern's first performance of the DDV which took place in Indianapolis, IN and learned it soon thereafter. Duke was the manager of Abbott's first satellite retail store which opened in Indy in 1945. I doubt there is anyone else who has done it as long as Norris has been doing it. He is so smooth with all the original subtleties in handling; "forgetting" the silk in pocket, folded up end, etc. It was a joy to watch.

It really is one of the best "pack small, play big" tricks with vivid color and great surprise. And, as I mentioned in a another thread, with some care it can be done completely in the round. So very handy to have on hand for some challenging venues.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am not sure what you want me to dye in the way of "psychedelic designs" of silks. I do have about 20 different patterns of tie dyes I have done with either the classic red-yellow and blue or using the fuschia-yellow and turquoise.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com