The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: The card f**c* I use at working gigs. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 11:27, NicholasD wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-26 17:44, Nicholas Night wrote:
I'm not a fan of the crosscut force :/ In hand of on the table, anyone who is burning your hands, (These people do exist...) is going to notice. I just feel like there are much better forces. Haven't you ever been caught with that force?

While I agree with you on the tabled version, there are a couple of touches on the in the hands version which can make it quite deceptive. First, as you swing cut the top half into the left hand, turn the left hand down so that the edge of what was the top half points toward the floor, ( as in the false cut that uses the same technique ). Second, tap the remaining right hand half against the top of the left half before placing it on top, angled to the right. As you place the right hand half at an angle, you're looking at the spectator in order to ask an appropriate question.

That said, I wouldn't use this all the time, but I certainly would use it.

I much prefer the force I use in this thread

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=2&0

It just seems easier and more deceptive to me. While my ambitious card performance is not stellar in that video, I do not think there was anything at all wrong with the force at the start.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
I'm not a fan of the crosscut force :/ In hand of on the table, anyone who is burning your hands, (These people do exist...) is going to notice. I just feel like there are much better forces. Haven't you ever been caught with that force?

Nope- at least not that anyone's mentioned, lol. The thing about it is, of course, time misdirection, as well. And believe me when I tell you I have people burning my hands all the time. I should call myself the fireman, lol, because I have to put out my hands so much. But how do I do that?

I talk to my spectators.

I'll try and talk about this in my next review but I think it's worth mentioning here. For me, the biggest skill in magic isn't about raising a card to the top of the deck but rather the ability to ask them, while in the middle of a move, if they have to go to work tomorrow. Or asking them if they have any kids, are going on vacation, or any other method of forming a connection. Small talk is the greatest misdirection of all, and is often the most rewarding. Combine that with the thumb flex and I'm unstoppable, lol!

Hope everyone is having an awesome holidays!

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-27 15:07, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
Quote:

Nope- at least not that anyone's mentioned, lol. The thing about it is, of course, time misdirection, as well. And believe me when I tell you I have people burning my hands all the time. I should call myself the fireman, lol, because I have to put out my hands so much. But how do I do that?

I talk to my spectators.

I'll try and talk about this in my next review but I think it's worth mentioning here. For me, the biggest skill in magic isn't about raising a card to the top of the deck but rather the ability to ask them, while in the middle of a move, if they have to go to work tomorrow. Or asking them if they have any kids, are going on vacation, or any other method of forming a connection. Small talk is the greatest misdirection of all, and is often the most rewarding. Combine that with the thumb flex and I'm unstoppable, lol!

Hope everyone is having an awesome holidays!

~jamie

That would do it. But hell. IF you do that well enough you could take the top card off without any move at all! Though, What you do is safer than that. I guess I just love a good riffle force. Though more recently I dabble with a classic force. I've occassionally found it found to classic force my cousin the same card a few times in a row to start an ambitious card. They seem to like it atleast. But they are less likely to think its a free choice in the future :/ Oh well. Thank you for your video! I DID enjoy it.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-24 13:04, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
Thanks guys!

Now I just need Steven (Youell) or someone to confirm that the crucial, integral, life-changing 2mm thumb flex is indeed mine, lol. If it is, I'm going to call it

"The C***s Cr*** Fle* F**c* S*p*r D**ux*"

With the actual asterixes/stars, lol. Full words are for laymen!

~jamie

P.S. I wonder how I'd pronounce it?

I was just made aware that this might be taken as a slight against Steven! This is actually the opposite of what I meant as I think he's one of the most knowledgeable cardmen here on the Café and I'm genuinely curious if I'm the first to flex the 'ol thumb, as it were. I love that we document this kind of thing!

Happy New Year (soon!)

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:

Quote:
I guess I just love a good riffle force. Though more recently I dabble with a classic force. I've occassionally found it found to classic force my cousin the same card a few times in a row to start an ambitious card. They seem to like it atleast. But they are less likely to think its a free choice in the future.

Here's my two cents: First, if they're burning your hands, then you haven't done your job properly because they're obviouusly looking for a move.

Second, assuming they are burning your hands, the Riffle Force is in the same category as the Cross Cut Force.

Third, the absolute worst thing you can do is to force a card on a spectator(s) repeatedly.

Finally, I watched the Force you referred to and it's my opinion that it needs work. I do not want to offer advice without possible solutions, so if you PM me we can chat about it if you like. And if you choose not to discuss it, no hard feelings.

Your mileage may vary, as does mine!

sey

P.S. The Classic Force can be made to be 100% sure, and that's my "Go To" Force.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-29 21:38, Steven Youell wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I guess I just love a good riffle force. Though more recently I dabble with a classic force. I've occassionally found it found to classic force my cousin the same card a few times in a row to start an ambitious card. They seem to like it atleast. But they are less likely to think its a free choice in the future.

Here's my two cents: First, if they're burning your hands, then you haven't done your job properly because they're obviouusly looking for a move.

Second, assuming they are burning your hands, the Riffle Force is in the same category as the Cross Cut Force.

Third, the absolute worst thing you can do is to force a card on a spectator(s) repeatedly.

Finally, I watched the Force you referred to and it's my opinion that it needs work. I do not want to offer advice without possible solutions, so if you PM me we can chat about it if you like. And if you choose not to discuss it, no hard feelings.

Your mileage may vary, as does mine!

sey

P.S. The Classic Force can be made to be 100% sure, and that's my "Go To" Force.

I'd love to PM you. I actually had some questions on our earlier discussions. (I emailed you.) However, Your settings do not allow me to PM you unless it is a reply.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 21:52, Nicholas Night wrote:
I'd love to PM you. I actually had some questions on our earlier discussions. (I emailed you.) However, Your settings do not allow me to PM you unless it is a reply.

Sorry about that! Email me at stevenyouell@att.net

It may take a while for me to respond, but respond I will!

sey
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Im gonna blow your email UP...bwhahah
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

I can't believe this was a year ago! That said, I thought I'd give this a bump for any new workers out there. I'm still using it a year later (well, not actually this month as I just had hand surgery, lol).

Hope this helps out a fellow performer or two!

~jamie
nytaylor21
View Profile
New user
Utah
55 Posts

Profile of nytaylor21
Thanks Jamie! First time seeing it for me. You're a funny guy! I really enjoyed it and will add this to my arsenal. Also, love the name for the f**c*! Very easy to say quickly when telling spectators what I did so they can look it up on Youtube!
ianchandler
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
Nice subtlety, Jamie. I'll try this out for sure.
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Great vid! what camera did you use that's some super quality hd there
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
A cr*** c** f**** can be very deceptive if you put some thought into its execution. I've found it to be a practical way to f**** a card without showing the back. Motivated time m*********ion is critical (e.g. handing someone a Sharpie and asking them to uncap it). Also critical is your attitude and internal dialogue that the card doesn't matter!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13023 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:

Anything you do with confidence will be good.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
You guys might appreciate this thread I started about another powerful but oft abused fo***: the ri*** fo***.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-26 14:10, robvh wrote:
A cr*** c** f**** can be very deceptive if you put some thought into its execution. I've found it to be a practical way to f**** a card without showing the back. Motivated time m*********ion is critical (e.g. handing someone a Sharpie and asking them to uncap it). Also critical is your attitude and internal dialogue that the card doesn't matter!

Agree totally! Time misdirection + Motivation + Confidence = Success