The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Magnetic Bills (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have discovered that since the ink on US Currency has metal particles that makes them magnetically attractive. This can be used to check for counterfeit bills but might be used for a magic effect.

Anyone know of this principle in use in a magic effect?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2723 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Been used in PK effects for a number of years.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Crumbled dollar thru drinking glass.
works very well for this.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
This was brought up earlier this year, but didn't seem to illicit effect ideas.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#8

The attraction to even strong magnets is very weak. The only PK type effect that I would think could work would be if the bill was delicately suspended from, or on something, you might be able to get it to move. Yet, I think you could get it to move a lot more by just fanning the air.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I think I meant "elicit", not "illicit". Smile
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
The amount and distribution of the particles of magnetised material in paper money - USA or any other paper money - is extremely small and well dispersed. As John Long says, the attraction to a magnet is "very weak".

This has been and will remain the case so long as paper money is dispensed via machinery that relies on electro-magnetic circuits. In layman's terms, if the manufacturers of the paper money make the magnetic qualities of the bills stronger they will screw up how the automatic teller machines operate.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Just but magnetic attracted bills.
I guess they still make them.i have a
few.i think they called them pk bills.