The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Gaeton Bloom's Ring Flight :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr Nutkins
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Mr Nutkins
Hi,
Has anyone any tips (no pun intended) regarding the handling of Mr Blooms ring flight, I'm struggling big time. I actually noticed from a review of this the line
"Detailed instructions on how to vanish the ring include some neat ways of doing so"... erm not when I bought it. It is the actual ring attachment and vanish I need help with.
Thanks in advance,
Terry
"Bloody otters !"
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
I'd love to hear some feedback on the ring vanish as well. I've seen the gaff and I really like the concept but I couldn't get past the ring attachment or vanish either. Anyone know if the effect is demo'd on video anywhere.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Michael Close teaches "Ring Fright", his adaptation of the Gaeton Bloom apparatus, on the "Too Close #4" video tape.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Thanks for the reference Thomas. Anyone out there in the group using this effect?
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Hi John, go to http://www.magicsmith.com
and do a search on "Gaeton Bloom's Flying Ring". There's a movie demo on this product that doesn't look too good.
Smile
Bernard Sim
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Thanks, I had a look and would have to agree. The presentation was really weak in that clip. Must be a lot smoother technique out there
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
You could always use the "VoxBox" rattle card box for the ring vanish. The ring can be heard rattling around in the box right up to the point where it appears in the purse.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
marcusone
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of marcusone
Hi All. Yes me too. Picked up this effect awhile ago and it has sat gathering dust since.
Can see no way of doing a clean vanish of the ring and attaching it to the gimmick cleanly.
Loved the idea when I saw it, but the handling is too clumsy.
Mr Nutkins
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Mr Nutkins
The only way I can see of attatching the ring would be under a handkerchief similar to Karl Andrews ring flight in his Strolling magician video.
Terry
"Bloody otters !"
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Quote:
On 2002-05-20 01:10, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Michael Close teaches "Ring Fright", his adaptation of the Gaeton Bloom apparatus, on the "Too Close #4" video tape.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

Thomas, does Mike Close use a hankerchief as Mr. Nutkins suggests in the post immediately preceding this one?
Mr Nutkins
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Mr Nutkins
John,
After getting hold of the video, I can tell you that Mr Close does use the cover of a hankerchief to fasten the ring to the gimmick, he also, without giving too much away, uses another prop for the misdirection.
After watching Close perform this effect, I must say I do like it, also Close says that the effect as he performs it is not really suitable for closeup but on that I would have to disagree.
cheers,
Terry Nutkins
"Bloody otters !"
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Guess I'll need to run out and buy Close's "Too Close #4" tape to really get a full appreciation for his handling. Thanks for the info.
Mark Alan
View Profile
New user
St. Augustine Fl.
64 Posts

Profile of Mark Alan
Thank you all for this info. I got ring flight around the holidays and I'm still not happy with the way my hook up and vanish looks. (I thought I was the only one that couldn't make this look or feel right)

Smile I'm Happy now.
Thanks ....
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I like the idea of not using a pull, but I saw the demo for this and did not care for the handling.

Does anyone know of a good ring flight handling w/o a pull?

Smile pulls can be scary when you are handling expensive (money wise & sentimental value)property!
Tony Chapparo
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Like you, I don’t like the reel-based ‘Ring Flight’. I have one of the best made; it has a locking reel and it has never failed me in performance. That said, I haven’t used it in years. I moved away from the reel-based version because of an accident that a friend of mine had-he damaged an expensive ring. Enough said!

My first reel-less version was purchased from Supreme Magic in England. It was called
“Ringon Ringon” and used a snap closed key case. It was very cleverly gimmicked and had a strong routine. I still use the routine and still have the gimmicked key case.

Another that is available that uses the same kind of key case, but is gimmicked in a totally different way (actually an easier gimmick to use than the Ringon Ringon), is
“Gone With The Ring”. It is a very low tech gimmick. Cost is about $15.00 from Magic Smith

Presently, I use the Jeff Stewart idea of a gimmicked key ring that accepts a finger ring almost instantly (put your hand in your pocket to take out your key ring, take it out and there is the finger ring! It’s that fast! Jeff calls his version the “Ring Thing” and it costs a big $10.00 from Meir Yedid!
Meir’s web site is http://www.mymagic.com
I carry my car keys on this ring so I am ready to perform the effect anywhere anytime!

Two interesting Ring Flight kind of ideas that get away from the key case or key ring is Richard Sanders “On Foot” (Ring to Shoe Lace, $20.00 Magic Smith) and “My Ring Collection” (a very cool ring to safety pin amongst a whole set of safety-pinned rings on a piece of red cloth which is pinned inside your jacket! Whew, did you get that? All for $15.00 from Magic Smith).

Ok, there are a few ideas for reel-less ring flight effects.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
berseus
View Profile
New user
Sweden (live in London)
49 Posts

Profile of berseus
The reason Mr Close thinks his Ring Fright is not suitable for close up work is not the ring part of the trick, but the other part (which includes without saying too much a gimmick that can't take too close scrutiny). With a little bit of thinking and ingenuity you should be able to take care of this and make it a perfect close up item.

If you buy the book/tape you won't be disappointed.

/ Karl
"How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else." - R. Buckminster Fuller
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
why not vannish the ring (bloom method) and have it appear in a rolled (tube) up bill capped with two torn bits of napkin.
That way you do not have to put the ring into a clip
Phillip
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I just returned from The Phoenix Gathering, where Gaeten gave a super-long lecture with tons of great stuff. One item he did was this effect, and he had some great handling with it. I'm not sure if it's on his videos, or anywhere else, but the handling he used for it was soooooo cool (it also makes for an incredibly brilliant silk vanish that plays HUGE).

It's the same as any TT trick; if you don't have a good handling for the steal, it looks awful. If you do, it looks mind-blowing.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I've never really understood the whole "ring flight" thing. I mean the little key wallet always seems so fishy to me. A stronger (and cleaner) effect is the ring on the stick. I think Skinner has a video of this one.
What is the color of magic?
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
If it's ring on a stick routines you want, check out Bev Bergeron's - two assistants and no duplicate; no gimmicks, you just need a stick (a wand or a chopstick would do) and a borrowed ring.
You can find it on his video 'Bev Bergeron on Tape' (along with lots of other great stuff) and in his notes 'Damnant quod non intelligunt'. Check it out.

Cheers,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)