The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Going for the 'Gold' :: Competition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I'm slated for a Magic competition next month and covet advice from the Workers here that have competed with Card Magic. I'm in the Close-up category. I'm fairly facile with Lorayne and Hamman effects. Colombini is one of my inspirations; I tend to emulate his pacing and laid-back approach. I'm not flourishy by any means; prefer Old School. Would like at least some audience participation, but just recently had two tricks go awry when spectators shuffled. A lesson there. I like a story approach in the patter. The time constraint is 5-12 minutes.

What would YOU do? What effects have YOU seen in this type of performance that put it over the top or WON the competition?

I don't have a setup for video taping for a critique. I'm primarily interested in particular effects that worked for YOU, that may have even surprised you!

I'm really open to your ideas and opinions.

If you have references, that would be helpful too. I have a fairly extensive library.

Thanks.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think originality would be an important factor in any magic competition--which could mean either an original effect or an original presentation--or both. You mention effects by Lorayne, Hamman and Colombini. Although it's okay to use published material, you might want to look for novel patter or presentation options. Even standards as old as "Six Card Repeat" can become showstoppers if given a unique presentation or twist.

Good luck. No matter what happens, you should gain some good experience.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Originality is key. you don't have to be a finger flinger or knuckle buster to win close up competitions. I've won small regional contests with worn out classics like the Six Card Repeat and the ancient Mr. Wizard telephone trick. But I put my own unique and entertaining spin on them.

Don't build your set with the intention of fooling your audience. Structure your routine around entertaining them and remember, even though it's supposed to be close up, in reality it's actually parlour. So don't focus on the table and the first row of spectators, play to the back of the room.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Thank you so much for your advice! I've modified my routine to display the cards better for the back of the room. The routine consists of For Aces effects but I use the Four Jacks with a story line.
TH

Occupy Your Dream