The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: Science Tricks For A Hour Long Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bigjay1974
View Profile
New user
Worcestershire. UK
85 Posts

Profile of bigjay1974
Hi I work for a education / magic company and I'm looking to put on a hour long presentation combining science with magic.

I know a few of you have posted things but does anyone have a show that they already do that wouldnt mind sharing with me (im based in the UK so my audiences wont have seen USA performers)

Thanks
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I like to use topology routines like the Afghan Bands. And don't miss the seldom performed variation where you start cutting a single twist band 1/4 away from the left side of the loop. Keep cutting along that left edge and you will pass the spot where you started cutting (it will be on the _right_ side when you pass it!) and just keep cutting till you come back to where you started. The result is truly amazing--two linked paper rings--but one ring is twice the size of the other one!

This is a routine I use when people ask me (and surprisingly they do ask now and then): Is there any REAL magic?

I also sometimes take an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and cut two parallel slits in it. Then I make a single Moebius twist in the parallel strip. This is probably most effective if done with a sheet of origami paper that is, say, red on one side and white on the other. (See attached "moebius_bridge.jpg)

When I finish I show the sheet of paper and point out that--in theory--the red side is one two-dimensional plane and the white side is a separate two-dimensional plane. In theory a Flatlander (apologies to Edwin Abbott Abbott) living on the red plane would never be aware of a Flatlander living on the white plane--unless a space warp through the third dimension connected their respective two-dimensional universes.

Now that I think about it, this might make a great sequel to the Abbott _Flatland_ story...

Also, can someone cite for me the originator of the routine where the magician and two kids start cutting paper loops with the idea that the first one to successfully cut their loop into two spearate loops is the winner? Of course, neither of the kids ever gets two separate loops, so the magician (who has an untwisted loop) always wins.

-----Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

Click here to view attached image.
----- Sonny Narvaez
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Hydrostatic glass and Newton's nightmare come to mind.
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
253 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Sonny: the presentation of the Afghan bands as a competition was created by Phil Foxwell. The reference is in Gardner's "Mathematics, Magic, and Mystery", in the chapter on the Afghan bands, page 71.

Tank you for post. That's a very interesting way of presenting the effect of a Moebian half-twist.
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
Hi I am a 'Gospel Magician', I have put on a show using only 'science' (physics?)demonstrating "Unseen Laws" instituted at creation.

Inertia: Spin a coin (or marble) in a clear balloon, hold balloon still and contents continue moving.
Gravity: Enquire what will happen if you 'let go' of a 'Ping Pong' ball. It drops BUT... next.....
Air Pressure: Place 'Ping Pong' ball on opening of (glass) milk bottle that has water in it. Tip upside down, air pressure holds the ball against gravity and will not fall down....
Poke hole in plastic lemonade bottle, fill with water while thumb over hole. Place cap on and water will not escape until cap is loosened.
"GLOBAL WARMING": Place ice cubes in part filled glass container, mark level of water, and debate if water level will increase or decrease as ice cubes melt?????

I hope you can use these ideas.
Tim1234$
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Tim1234$
There is a TV show on The discovery chanel on foxtel and it discribs a lot of science magic the show is called SCIENCE OF MAGIC.
MagicianTrent
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of MagicianTrent
There are books out on science magic some better than others. I perform a science trick with two litre pop bottles with a balloon stretched over the mouth and pushed inside of the bottle. I can blow mine up but the volunteer cannot. My bottle f course has a small hole melted in the bottom to allow for air displacement. Can look like magic but is more science based and lots of fun. Oh use clear bottles!
Horatio
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Horatio
Sounds like this cool one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMTofjsoMY

Here's another trick with a nice surprise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIuN7GiKGxA
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user