The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: I need some help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
Hi, I'm doing a informational on Christians and magic for my Tech class at my school.
One of the requirements is that I must have a chart comparing something, so I was thinking about the percent of how many gospel magicians are to regular magicians. so I was wondering any you guys know anything?

any help much appreciated,
Michael
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Those numbers are probably going to be hard to find. How about comparing the number of members in the Fellowship of Christian Magicians with the International Brotherhood of Magicians?

You might be able to find these numbers on the respective web pages or at least info to contact the secretaries of the organizations.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
It would be very difficult to obtain accurate data since the terms "Gospel Magician" and "Regular Magician" are almost impossible to define.

There are very few magicians (particularly full-time professionals) who do Gospel magic exclusively. There are also many magicians who are Christians who do not do Gospel magic or very little in that genre.

It would not be fair to compare membership in IBM or SAM to FCM, since there is no way to discern how many IBM or SAM magicians do Gospel magic, plus there are many FCM members who belong to IBM or SAM as well.

I have no idea how you could possibly compile any accurate and meaningful data for comparison.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
Thank you for your imput, I agree with what your saying, since my theme is christians and magic, would any body have any other ideas what I could compare so I could put it on my chart?

like I said before, any help much appreciated,
Michael
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Hi, I'm not sure which direction your information is going, but rather than do something on statistics, do something on controversial viewpoints would be a good thing I suppose.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
If you need a comparison chart and your subject is Christians and magic, the only statistical data that I can "conjure" up is this:

1. Do an internet search of the largest magic dealers in the US. (This would be pretty much subjective, but even if it was a random selection, it would give valid results within your random group).

2. Attempt to quantify the total number of "tricks" or effects that they carry and the number of Gospel-related tricks/effects within that total.

3. Determine the "percentage of Gospel related effect offered versus the total offered".

4. There are a few dealers who deal exclusively or at least predominently in Gospel effects, so if they were included, it would skew your data and give a false conclusion.

I don't know if this is any help, but if you decide to try, please post your results. It would be interesting to see. Smile
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Nathan J. Roberts
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Nathan J. Roberts
I know of several magicians who are Christians but do not necessarily do a Gospel program. The Hammners, Kole, and others. Then those who do both Gospel and secular, and then some who does just Gospel. I believe there are more "Christian" magicians than most people think.
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
Hey ya'll, I figured it all out, presented it, did the d lites for an example on gospel magic today.
It turned out great!

Michael

P.S. Just curious, does anybody know if Lance Burton is a Christian, if he is I wouldn't be surprised.