The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Magic Café Tech Help Area :: Using the search feature :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
One question asked almost everyday is why must I choose a forum when doing a search when the option says search all forums. When a search is requested, the search engine must look at every post (as of this posting that number is 4,382,361)whether it is related or not. Multiply that time the number members trying to do a search and the result was the Café actually stopped responding.

The search feature was temporarily disabled. By requiring a specific forum to be chosen, the number of searches has been greatly reduced as only the forum selected is looked at. In most cases, a simple thought before searching will give you the correct forum to search. For example, if you interested in card magic, you should select the workers forum. If you want card effects with gimmicked cards, you'd choose gaffed and funky. It's not perfect, but it does narrow the search time down.

If you simply must search the entire Café, there is an alternative.

Use google and this search term
site:themagiccafe.com "search for term with no quotes"

example search
site:themagiccafe.com teflon
site:themagiccafe.com cups and balls
site:themagiccafe.com Harry Lorayne
Where the magic begins
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Profile of Rafael Benatar
Thank you for the explanation, Dave. I was also wondering. It temporarily disabled? Does that mean it will eventually be fixed? (it's been a while). If the search takes longer I can wait. If the feature is not coming back (would be a pity), then the "All Forums" option should be removed.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
This also has been discussed many times. We are working on the search feature to make it easier for all members, it's just taking some time to get there. The search all forums is not going to be removed.
Where the magic begins
Card Detective
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Card Detective
I have been wondering. Most useful, thank you.
Fluent Spanish speaker, if I can help anyone, let me know.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Saved me from having to ask, thanks.
ChrisTheImpossible
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville, Florida
70 Posts

Profile of ChrisTheImpossible
Quote:
On 2012-10-17 22:04, Dave Scribner wrote:
One question asked almost everyday is why must I choose a forum when doing a search when the option says search all forums. When a search is requested, the search engine must look at every post (as of this posting that number is 4,382,361)whether it is related or not. Multiply that time the number members trying to do a search and the result was the Café actually stopped responding.

The search feature was temporarily disabled. By requiring a specific forum to be chosen, the number of searches has been greatly reduced as only the forum selected is looked at. In most cases, a simple thought before searching will give you the correct forum to search. For example, if you interested in card magic, you should select the workers forum. If you want card effects with gimmicked cards, you'd choose gaffed and funky. It's not perfect, but it does narrow the search time down.

If you simply must search the entire Café, there is an alternative.

Use google and this search term
site:themagiccafe.com "search for term with no quotes"

example search
site:themagiccafe.com teflon
site:themagiccafe.com cups and balls
site:themagiccafe.com Harry Lorayne

Thanks for the explanation. I have been using Google before reading this because sometimes I could not find what I was looking for.

Thanks,
www.MagicJunky.com
"A place for Magicians, Clowns, and Ventriloquists to Buy, Sell, and Trade new and or used items Free!"