The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Markup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb for magic markups? For instance if I put together a little something that costs me US$2.00, what should I ask an internet dealer for ?

Thanks.
Tim David
View Profile
Regular user
MA
164 Posts

Profile of Tim David
How much is the trick worth to the buyer? For example, Crazy Man's Handcuffs only cost the price of printing, but as soon as David Copperfield performed it on TV, everybody wanted it and was willing to pay the 15 bucks or whatever it cost.

That being said, you need to consider that the dealer is going to want to buy at wholesale and sell at retail. Once you know what your trick is worth, then decide on a retail price.

Here is what I charged retailers for a product that sold for $9.95-$12.95...

$36.00 per ½ dozen ($6.00 apiece)
$54.00 per dozen ($4.50 apiece)
$234.00 per ½ gross ($3.25 apiece)
$360.00 per gross ($2.50 apiece)

The product cost me about $1.40 if I remember it correctly.

Hope this helps,
Go spread some wonder

http://www.TimDavidMagic.com
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Thanks Tim. I guess I undercharged Smile

Theres always next time.
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...

Gotta remember the old "intrinsic value" of magic items... you don't sell the props, you sell the secret. How many magic items have you spent $20 or more on only to look at the prop/gimmick and realize it cost $2 to make? But you didn't know that before you bought it-- so you paid $18 for the secret essentially...

And of course, the real secret is in the performance...

Joe
Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The cost is defined by how much is somebody willing to pay for it. Lets call that X

You then need to add up the cost of the raw materials, the labour of how long it took to put it together,(e.g $25 per hour) shipping AND an amount to go to the retailer (usually around 30% but different shops in different industriess charge different rates). We'll call that Y.

X - Y = your profit. i.e. how much you get for having the idea and being in control of the means of production.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I appreciate the help. I was clueless, but I have a good springboard to jump with.

Thanks Smile