The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Piff's Tacular (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wonderbob
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of wonderbob
Hi Guys!

I am looking to make/bulid a table like the ones Piff the Magic Dragon uses in his act. He calls it his 'tacular'. I would love to have a folding table with a box attached to the top. It would be great for walkaround/closeup shows. B.T.W. I'm not trying to steel Piff's design.

For those of you that haven't seen the table it's in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rey_FNWQx-8

If you could tell me how to make one like this please let me know.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Please just do a search in this forum topic for Harbin Table, and you will find your source material to make one. The name Harbin Table is thrown around incorrectly my some of today's people, but what the folding legs is, is the Harbin design table. Piff of course connected it to a suitcase, this is not usually the best table leg design, because it is very unstable on anything but a hard floor.
wonderbob
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of wonderbob
Does anyone know what kind of suitcase he uses?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It just looked like an old suitcase, being he is from England, I am sure they are designed differently then in the U.S. It actually is probably from the 1950's or 1960's.

Please don't just attempt to copy, that is one of his trademarks for his act.

Wonderbob, makes me wonder who Bob is, as you chose to not give any information about yourself or where you are from, then I cannot advise any other suggestions. If you are from England, then don't copy his table 'exactly' as you may not be received and perceived well by others.

Taking a look at it in full screen it is either a modified old suit case or a something home made. The rounded corners is what throws me off as that is from an old suit case, but you can tell it was probably cut off, and the flat back was added as the strip for the hinge would not be on any store bought suitcase. The lid also overlaps, and that would not be on any purchased suitcase as well.

My guess is he found an old broken suitcase and patched it up, as even a poor builder would not put those hinges on like that.
wonderbob
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of wonderbob
As I said before I'm not trying to steel his design. I want to make one like that to use in my shows
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well you have all the information now to build one. Good Luck, and I wish you success in your craftsmanship in wood working.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If your interested in obtaining the original Harbin Table plans, you can PM me.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Not to nitpick, but if you admit that you want to make one like that for your own use, that is stealing. Of course, he wasn't the first to use the table, or even with a case attatched. Rudy Coby used a Harbin Table on a breifcase in his Labman act.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Paul Osborne includes plans for the Harbin Table in "World's Greatest Magic Table" plans.

http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/worgreatmagt.html
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
190 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
This type of suitcase Harbin table even predates Rudy Coby and goes way back.