The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Shall We Dance? Platt's at it again :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9552 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Now, there's all sorts of good coin magic out there from a variety of workers but here is a new DVD out by an old Café member around here, Brian Platt. I first became aware of Platt from one of his very first offerings, his "Catapult" DVD (Anyone remember that one?). Smile In it he brought out some really good impromptu coin magic, a nice move called the "Fanning Pitch," and no-frills just fun stuff.

Well, he's long since become his own "brand" of magic and he remains IMHO a quite unique magic creator. His latest work is called the The Dance and he shakes a mean leg in it with some coin stuff he's just continued to finesse into what looks like real magic. In it coins jump around from one hand to the other in the cleanest and most surprising manners. It's like 1-2-3 in parts or as a whole routine, this thing ROCKS!

In this DVD, Platt shows you how to make things happen, how to overcome any difficulties and gives good, increased understanding on moves and motivations. Again, he is no-frills but just keeps delivering all you need and more as to coins. He shows you 3 independent effects that can be strung together to do The Dance routine. I personally like short effects where the magic is immediate and easy to follow and doesn't necessitate any grand story to bring it alive or move it along. You just take out a couple of regular coins and do this thing, and let magic be what it is in the mind of your spectators. They'll love this stuff as it doesn't overwhelm them but captures them completely in the moment. This is just good coin magic from a worker that has a real idea as to what magic is. Perhaps you might not know of him as well as some others here but he's been here all along, just all over the place creating all sorts of wonderful close-up effects, like his wonderful "Sugar Rush."

Unlike a lot of DVDs that come out nowadays, this is one that I highly recommend to any level coin worker. As in all good magic, practice is necessary if you want it to shine but this stuff is not hard to do and will fool laymen and magicians alike. Platt is not this guy or that guy, etc., he is but a humble worker bee in good close-up magic that that can really rock & roll. I first came across him with the coins and here he is again and even better than ever with something that is not overwhelming and breath-taking at the same time.

Now, you might not hear this sort of stuff from the big boys out there but you know I give it to you straight big, small and all when something is quite worthwhile. Smile With that, I highly recommend this DVD to anyone that enjoys coin magic - ANYONE! The beginner will begin to learn things that are very important in coin magic early on and made a bit easier to pick up and use. More advanced guys will find some solid stuff here as well that will also enhance what they do. This is not a deep dive but gold floating on the surface for you. Smile This should be on everyone's magic shelf, even those that do other sorts of magic. It's the sort of little coin set that's all the coin magic you have to show to appear amazing.

Thank you, Platt for yet another winning piece of coin magic and another straight-away contribution to magic in general. Smile I know your dad is very proud of you...I know I sure am. Smile

http://www.plattmagic.com/Products.php
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Didn't know of this new project by Platt. This is good news for coin workers. I have Catapult - excellent DVD!

I always associate Platt with very strong magical effects, that's what he's always after...clean effects with coins that are stun.

Thanks for the heads up Mb.

chuck
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Brian did a great job with this. Very well explained. Just add practice.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&35
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Hey, and I see that he's done a very nice job with his web site as well.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl at The Dance!
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
As I stated in my earlier post.what you get from the DANCE is a life time of magic for just a small price of the dvd, no gimmicks no frills just pure in your face slight of hand. And Marion is right on, Platt may never get and KIDOOS form the Coin Gods,,,but who cares
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
But aren't you a "Coin God", Vinny?? Smile

Jim
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
Platt rocks!... and you're coin-god enough for me, Vinny.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9552 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes he does! Smile

This is just a great little DVD that shows you quite effectively how to do some really good coin magic with some great moves. What's not to like? Smile

Glad people are checking it out.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
331 Posts

Profile of ellisd
Just ordered mine minutes ago. Only thing I am bummed out about is that I thought it was one of his direct download products. Looks like it is a physical dvd. Paid for the fast shipping so I guess I just have to wait a few days. I used to own catapult so I know the quality of his work and am very excited about this new product. Had to quit smoking last year so I thought maybe some good coin work might keep my hands busy.
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
331 Posts

Profile of ellisd
Had it for about a week now. Worth every penny. Great dvd for anyone who wants to learn the muscle pass and learn a great way to use it. It will take me a little longer to get it down but what a thing of beauty!
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
This is an excellent effect and instructional DVD. Seriously, this looks like real magic, and the fact that it's done with no gaffs raises it to the level of true art. I can't do it (yet), but will definitely stay with it until I can. Platt's teaching is very thorough, so you'll have no question about what you need to do after watching the whole thing. This is why I keep buying magic DVDs - in the hope of running across something beautiful and truly magical like this.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.