The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: I finally got a suit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
Hey guys,

For as long as I have been doing magic (a little over two years now) I have never gotten dressed up for a performance. I just wore jeans and a shirt; and, quite frankly, I hated it. I have wanted a full suit for a while, but I didn't think it was smart to spend $400 or so on a suit that probably wouldn't fit me for more than six months, as I have been growing quite a bit lately. However, this past week I decided to go ahead a buy one.

I have performed twice with it on, and I can't begin to tell you how much of a difference it makes in my performance. A suit just feels right... I like being dressed up and performing magic. Not only that, but I find that my audience is MUCH more attentive, including friends that would always try and ruin a trick (you all know the type). I actualy feel like a magician. I wish I would have gotten one sooner, despite the cost.

I love all of the extra pockets too, Smile
Daniel M. Carrico
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
It's true...clothes make the man. Just make sure you dress as you. In other words, if a suit makes you feel like a magician, it will show in your presentations. If you don't like how you look, and if you don't feel right, the audience will know. That's why I still like my tux. It makes me feel like a magician, and it helps my performance.
It takes some magicians years to figure this out, so you are ahead of the game! Smile
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
I know exactly how you feel. It is interesting to see how the clothes can change the way you carry yourself. I can feel the difference when wearing a suit. I sit different, I walk different and as a magician you do move different. I'm glad you like this and I hope that anything that can improve our magic will be well accepted.

I see you are from Colorado also, I hope to meet you sometime soon. Check out mile high society of magicians, there is a show coming up next week November 8, hope to see you there. Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3632 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I tend to vary my look. When I perform casually (which is 80% of my work) I just dress casually. Nice jeans (by that I mean fairly new, not worn), a nice shirt (usually dark colored button up) and nice shoes. I have one suit, and I wear it for more formal affairs.

I'm still "looking" to find that perfect suit or apparel that when I see it, I just know it's me.

I envy those of you that have "found" your persona in how you dress to perform. It's been tough for me!
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
I could have gotton a couple of high range Collectors Workshop props instead of my suit. Not bragging, just saying I think it was money well spent. You get a little more respect when you look your best.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Daniel,

You made the right move. If you feel right, then you will do that much better a job with your act. But, more importantly, your audience will take you much more seriously, as a serious performer. They may not even be able to say why, but they will!

As the old adage goes: You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com