The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: The Linking Padlock by Bill Hegbli (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
When the late Rick Johnsson published his Padlock on Brandy Sniffer Glass Stem in the Linking Ring Magazine and published his fantastic routine Strike One with empty match boxes. I set out to create the Linking Padlock. With this padlock it is possible to do many of the Ring on Rope effects that have been published, including the visual penetration of the lock through a rope.

The lock is a small Master Lock that is real. Instead of using or borrowing a finger ring, I used an ordinary padlock that can be purchased at many stores. I also created a "Key" padlock to be secretly brought into play for many of the routines that use duplicate rings and this "Key" also is used for the visible penetration.

All the moves and routine could be done naked if desired, but I would not recommend it, except in a Nudist Colony. (Are those still in existence?) With cloths on, you can do so much more creative magic that is more mystifying.

If desired, it is possible to do a visual linking of 2 padlocks, although I do not think that is as strong a magic as using a piece of rope. Mainly, the reason I do not think it is strong, because - where do you go from there. Other items could be visually linked to the padlock as well, like finger rings, keys, etc.

I think the padlock adds to the intrigue a little and draws the spectators into your world a little more.

I have done some searching and cannot find anyone else using this idea, so I thought I would mention it as it seems to have been overlooked by many creative people in magic.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don't take offense, but to me padlocks reek of "you can open them and close them"... just don't seem like a convincing prop (to me).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No offense, of course you can open them and close them with a key. All thoughout my routine, the spectator can handle the lock to make certain it is locked.

Pete, I don't understand your you comment, I don't know any lock that can be opened without a key. Maybe you know or see something I don't.

If you care to explain, I am all ears.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I think what Peter means is that any linking effect is
best performed with items that are seemingly unable to
open and close such as a padlock, i.e. solid rings, wedding bands,
rubber bands, etc.....

I'd like to see a video of your performance with this piece Bill.
All the best to you both, ~Dev/
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I really think that is "thinking like a magician" and not a lay person. I don't show magic to magicians ever, it is more on an explanatory nature, then trying to fool them. Of course, I am not centered on the fooling thing any way. That just creates enemies. It is all about entertainment and a good flowing sequence of events with a beginning a middle and an ending.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1534 Posts

Profile of rowland
I also would like to see the routine, although a padlock is an everyday object I can't see what would make this any stronger than a good linking ring routine ?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Boy - My purpose in posting was not to say my Linking Padlock was stronger or better in any way. It is just something I invented with the gimmicked padlock. It works for me, and is exclusive to me!

Just to set all of you at ease, I am not selling my routine or padlock. This was to put on record my invention of a "Key" padlock.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Duly noted and recorded. Thanks.

Had a meeting with Joe Porper yesterday regarding something with a house key and a borrowed ring. Soon as we work out a good handling/routine, will post. Working name is KRING. Pronounced "Kay Ring" ala "Bee Wave."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com