The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Clowning around :: To Tramp or not to Tramp? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
What is the best venues and performance opportunities for tramp clowns in our modern time? Or has the age of the tramp clown long since passed? Many Auguste clowns have said that tramp clowns are too scary or too sad for children. What say you?
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Lanky T. Clown
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Lanky T. Clown
I have a character called Bobo The Hobo and he works well at walkaround events, not for parties. He is good if you are selling or giving away balloons on a park bench and if you have some pocket magic with you. hope this helped!
TCsteinberg
View Profile
New user
NewYawk
52 Posts

Profile of TCsteinberg
The tramp clown is a uniquely American invention, the product of the Great Depression.
Being that we're in (and have been) in a great depression, your timing couldn't be better ;-)
I feel that any type clown; auguste, white-face, or tramp, could possibly be scary to children, I'v seen it all,
It depends on the child or person (so many are just plain scared of clowns), and of course the performer needs to be aware of bad/scary makeup, aggressive behavior, personal space & distance, how "large" the character appears (I often remove hat and nose when dealing with dogs, or just hat and any accessories that make me appear larger when dealing with very small children, I ALWAYS kneel down to appear smaller & more approachable, etc).
The tramp clown will always have a place in clowning, and potentially a very sympathetic character.
I was once a tramp clown, silent, LOVED IT!
I say, GO FOR IT!

best,
Todd
~ tc ::--.---( )
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Thanks Todd,
I am so glad to hear your take on the Tramp, There are limitations, yes, but to those who are called to be tramps, there is a something that only the humblest and lowest of clowns can speak to in the world. Modern day Depression? I can feel it, you feeling it too?
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
461 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
Good info here on this topic!!
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Sorry I've been away for a bit. I took a humanitarian clown trip with Patch Adams as part of a group of clowns from all over the world to clown in some very distressed environments in Costa Rica. We clowned in a very poor community of Nicaraguan immigrants settled near the City Dump, a childrens hospital, the state psychiatric facility and the prison. check out my photo gallery: http://www.magicnurse.com/apps/photos/

now I am ready to focus on bringing my clowning closer to home!
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Red Skeleton had a tramp character that was not a sad sack, Freddy Freeloader. And there are others, one rode a bicycle that came apart, don't remember his name.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
438 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
It's really all about tasteful presentation. I have always LOVED the hobo clown.....such a classic!! Smile Smile Smile
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
>> Many Auguste clowns have said that tramp clowns are too scary or too sad for children.

May Augustes are to scary for children....

I have been a clown for 40 years, not full time but Still have been doing it for a long time.

I my experiance.
It is not the makeup, it is not the costume that is scary for kids. It is the personality,
I have seen clowns with outragous makeup be loved by the kids, I have seen kids back off from the so called "light" auguste makeup. I walked into a venue, and had a kid run to the other end of the hall to be as far away from the "clown" as possible, but be up beside me assiting before the end of the show. I have had childen site on my lap for photos after the parents bet me that the kid would never do it, because they will not even go to family members.

If the kids are scared of the clown, there is a reson and it is not the makeup.

Usally..... (There is alwasy the exception..)
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Billy.. Interesting post . Being a clown, I'm always interested in hearing what other clowns think as to why some children are scared of clowns. What is, in your opinion, the other reason you mention?

Cheers
Peter
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
>> If the kids are scared of the clown, there is a reson and it is not the makeup.

>> What is, in your opinion, the other reason you mention?

in most cases it is the performer not knowing how to read the kid, I have seen way to many clowns getting in the kids "space" and trying to do there clown bit when the kid was uncomfertable. You have to know when to back off and how to lead the kid to you, each and every child is differant, and reacts differant to strangers and beleive me clowns can be very strange to a child.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Good points to take onboard, thanks Billy!
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.