The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Blackwell33
View Profile
New user
Ft. Huachuca, Az
11 Posts

Profile of Blackwell33
Hey guys.. I'm wanting to start learning some mentalist effects. Just assume that I'm a total beginner and have no background in mentalism. Where do I start? What vids or dvd's do you recommend? Thanks a lot.. Smile
"Knowledge is POWER!"
"If you can't fool them.. well, then just practice some more!!!"
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Max Maven's Videomind series is very good. Strong effects which can are not too demanding, but obviously require the right presentation to be effective. I would personally recommend you initially get Karl Fulves self-working mental magic and see whether mentalism is right for you. Then you can think about essential texts such as Practical Mental Effects and 13 Steps.
thk5353
View Profile
Regular user
Northern New Jersey
183 Posts

Profile of thk5353
Hmmmm Mind Mysteries DVD Set by Richard Osterlind heard alot about it, but can't tell you how it is though.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
If you're just starting out in mentalism, you should get Annemann's Practical Mental Magic and Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism. Yes, those are books, the bibles of mentalism. This is where you should start.

If you're adamant about videos, Max Maven's VideoMind series is top-notch. Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries series is top-notch. The Desert Brainstorm Series by the Arizona 6 1/2 is top-notch.
Smile
Coolmagic
View Profile
New user
My mom...
67 Posts

Profile of Coolmagic
There is a new DVD which is AWESOME. MIND STUNT by Patrik Kuffs pretty nice routine that you can do close-up , stand up and even stage. Differents effects than the other mentalist.

There is also the Osterlind DVD that I recommend.

Hope it can help you!

VCM
trickiewillie
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
128 Posts

Profile of trickiewillie
Max Maven's series is excellent, for the reasons stated above. To see some other, different performance styles (Max Maven is definitely one of a kind) Lee Earle's "Syzygy" series of videos (www.lee-earle.com) is very good. Also, the Desert Brainstorm series. Both series have strong, not too difficult-to-do mentalism but may be out of print. Larry Becker has a two-volume set of videos/DVDs that are good but not really beginner material. For more advanced work, Bob Cassidy's Mental Miracles is outstanding.

Because performance is so important to mentalism, it's important that you see as many different styles of presentation as you can so you don't simply copy one performer. Beginning performers have a tendency to copy the presentations and styles of other performers. If you can get only one video, make it one of Max Maven's. But you definitely don't want to copy Max Maven's style - not because he's bad (he's excellent) but because he is so unique.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I second rgranville in advising Korinda and Annemann.
These two books are the basic for mentalism.
If you in addition spend a few bucks on Osterlinds' Maging Magic Real, you should be well off and have a lot to work with for a long time.
NB Making Magic Real is NOT a book on magic or mentalism, but comes foreward with some incredibly important philosophy.
Adopting and practicing Richard Osterlind's advises in MMR will make you stand out compared with others.
Good luck
Sven
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Blackwell,

Watching DVD's of different performers is great, but let me give you the advice that I would take if I were starting out all over again.

I would look at movies and TV specials (and read books) where actors play the parts of psychics. I would detirmine in my mind what powers I would want and how I would act if I truly had those powers. Then I would go about trying to duplicate those abilities using whatever means I could come up with.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Richard
Blackwell33
View Profile
New user
Ft. Huachuca, Az
11 Posts

Profile of Blackwell33
Thanks guys! I've been into magic for several months now and learned a ton from this forum. I've never had an interest in mentalism until recently. The more I read, the more I got interested. So I wanted to dig deeper and of course I ended up with this thread. I have "13 Steps to Mentalism" on order and I'm thinking of getting Osterlind's DVD series. I've heard a lot of great things about it. Thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction..

Blackwell
"Knowledge is POWER!"
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Blackwell,

I find myself in the same situation you are in. I've been into magic for a while but only recently developed a desire to explore mentalism. 13 Steps is a great work, as is Mind, Myth, and Magick. A fellow magician friend tweaked my interest and it's getting stronger every day!

As for the original question, Bob Cassidy has some PDF e-books out that I hear raves about! That's my next purchase - then onto some more DVDs such as Osterlind and Mavin.

Cheers!
William Holcomb
Blackwell33
View Profile
New user
Ft. Huachuca, Az
11 Posts

Profile of Blackwell33
Thanks a lot, Holcomb. I looked up Bob Cassidy's e-books on google and was very interested. How soon do you plan on purchasing these? They seem a bit pricy for me right now for a download, but if the material is usefull then they are priceless. Maybe post a review? Or direct me to a previous review? Thanks a lot.. you have spurred my interest now..
"Knowledge is POWER!"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
How about Larry Becker's Mental Masterpiece DVD?
Any comments?

Thanks

Wayne
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Larry's stuff is GREAT! Also recommend Bob Casidy, Mark Strivings(GREAT matketed effects!) and Ted Lesley.
hmk
View Profile
New user
uk
68 Posts

Profile of hmk
For someone starting out there is very little aimed at the beginner.probably better re-reading the classics and going through the forum archive.
good luck.
hmk
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Dave Eldridge has a DVD out called FundaMentalism which, as I understand it, is aimed at the newcomer to mentalism. I have not seen the DVD, but Dave is a frequent poster here, and I'm sure can enlighten you further as to whether this might be suitable for you.

Jack Shalom
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Pure Effect and Absolute Magic by Derren Brown will give you lots of food for thought on the approach and mind set of a mentalist.

Jamy Ian Swiss writes a chapter in his recent release, Shattering Illusions,that is not very positive towards mentalists, but again worthy of deep inner reflection.

Ken Weber has recently come out with an inside look at stage performances of both magicians and mentalists. Although I have not read Ken's book yet, the reviews are very positive and I plan to purchase it next, along with Osterlind's Volume One --which I hear is an excellent tool for both beginner and advanced --a wonderful chance to learn from a pro in the area of stage performance and audience relationship building.

Barrie Richardson's Theatre of the Mind has some strong, yet simple to apply effects and I like his warm and thoughtful, respectful approach towards his audience.

I understand that Ted Lesley is a great guru in the field of Mentalism, and I would like to know if he has produced his stage show on video so that I can benefit from seeing and learning from his presentations and unique rapport with his audiences.

Kenton Knepper (www.wonderwizards.com) is yet another controversial, yet highly regarded performer and teacher in linguistic communication. His Wonder Words series, though costly, is now on CD and available.

Eugene Burger, I understand, has much depth and much to teach.

I too am very new to the field of mentalism (but not to stage presentations) and have a lot to learn about what other top resources exist and where to find them.

Therefore, I will continue to follow this thread for advise.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Here are a few recommendations for the learning mentalist.
Video/DVD:
Larry Becker's Mental Masterpieces and Standing Ovations
Bob Cassidy's Mental Masterpieces
Mind Stunts by Patrik Kuffs
Richard Osterlind's set
Max Maven's set
Books/Ebooks:
The Art of Mentalism by Bob Cassidy
Making Magic Real by Richard Osterlind (ebook)
Stunners Plus by Larry Becker
Mentalism Inc. by Chuck Hickok
Jinx by Annemann
13 Steps by Corinda
Tarbell series
Theater of the Mind by Barrie Richardson
Paramiracles by Ted Lesley

There is one more section that anyone who wants to be a mentalist should study. Performance art/acting. This will help you far more than knowing how to perform one hundred different experiments ever will. Just my opinion though.

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
Jay Sankey's 22 Blows to the head!