The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Counterfeit Porper Ghostly Linking Finger Rings from China (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Let me say 1st, I do not have the original $700 Porper Ghostly Finger Rings, so I do not know if anything is made exactly the same. From the pictures in the copied original instructions, the items I received do not look to be identical to the pictures.

I received the China Porper Ghostly Linking Finger Rings today. Received was a White Oak hinged wood blocks with cutouts for the 2 finger rings and a brass and aluminum fake ink pen.

The pen does not write, it is gimmicked, but as is it is okay, but it seems to be designed improperly for confident handling, during the presentation. If the gaff is replaced it will be satisfactory for use, not great mind you, but okay.

The matching ring is smooth and shiny with depression groves running across the width at intervals. It seem to sized to be about 10.5.

The Himber type ring supplied is dull and not shiny do to the work applied to it. It is made without any close tolerances at all. There are very obvious gaps on the width and across the top surface. The worse part is the very visible hinge on the top of the ring. One would have no problem finding the gaff during the presentation. The door is sloppy and is loose fitting, and works with a friction lock. the only similar feature is that the door open inward. From the photos in the instruction booklet, it has no comparison to the Porper Ghostly Ring; and it even works differently, and not as easily as the Proper description of his ring.

The instructions are very good, even though Pete Biro wrote them. (I mean that as a joke.) Only one grammar error that I ran across. Pete gives a couple alternate handling and an idea from R. Paul Wilson as well.

Just for the box and all the brass it is worth the $35, so I do think the price was fair for the products received weather I would use them, I don't think so, maybe the pen with some additional work.

I really can't believe that anyone would contact Joe Porper with any problems they would have with this obvious very different Ghostly Ring. The photographs in the booklet, do not compare the props received.

If you can afford it, but the original, the ease of working is worth the money. Of course this statement I have made is on the explanation of Pete Biro's comment of "just push one ring into the other, and they link!" This is not possible with the China ring set.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I've seen the rip-offs.... shoddy workmanship, break easily. Too bad. Thanks for posting, Bill.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just in case I was not totally clear, the ring is made so poorly, that it could not be used in even a stage presentation, as when the members look at their finger rings to verify they are linked, they could see the gaff in the ring. There is no side of the ring that they this could not happen.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Well, you could hold your thumb over the key section.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pete, no not really, as then it would be like using the original Koran handling, then the door just gets in the way.

The only way this ring would maybe work is if you dyed it black.