The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Jumbo Sidekick remote control handset (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
161 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Hi Chaps

Don't suppose anyone knows what frequency these operate at? Someone stood on mine and it's toast!

This is for the version II sound or remote model, pre 2000 I think. It's a small garage door style remote with a small telescopic arial. I've tried George at CW but he appears to have some major issues with his electronics chap at the moment who's quite ill by the sound of things.

Getting a replacement and pairing it to the table can't be that difficult, can it? Any help greatly appreciated.
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted, bizarre artefacts and illusions. The Uninvited, Death Row Diner, The Koshkin Effect, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2230 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I would think if you contact George and Viking Magic..He can help you out and might even have the correct remote for it and sell one.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
CONTACT REMOTE GUY AND HE IS THE THE ONLY WHO CAN RESOLVE THIS!
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Here his email:
nickwenger@verizon.net
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
I have replaced the R/C receiver and transmitter on early model Sidekicks, not a easy task. All the components are totally sealed inside the tabletop.

Nick
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
161 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Thanks for your help with this.

Nick, are you saying that I'd need to replace the receiver and it's not possible just to pair it with a new remote? Like you say the table is a sealed unit so it's not going to be easy. I've fixed a lot of original CW items in the past but this may be a step too far. I'd send it back to George but I doubt I'd see it again for a few years!
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted, bizarre artefacts and illusions. The Uninvited, Death Row Diner, The Koshkin Effect, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
PM'd you.
M.O
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of M.O
Anyone know the charge time for these? It is the one that takes 10x1.5V 2000 mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries. Also any idea which version this is? I got it second hand with just the table and props some time back so have no idea. Is remote, not sound (I think)activated.
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
161 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Doesn't sound like an original Collector's Workshop peice. CW Jumbo Sidekick takes two standard 9v batteries in the table unless it's been modified and first version was sound activated only. V2 was sound or remote, V3 (current version) can use sound or remote simultaneously. If you want to PM me with a pic of the underside of the table I'll tell you which version it is.

Nick
www.darkartefacts.com

M.O
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of M.O
That's interesting, when I got it the battery pack did look like it had been modified; batteries were super glued into the battery pack holder and soldered to the wires. It was also badly corroded. I put in a new battery pack and batteries myself though the new holder doesn't fit the space for them. I had seen one or two others in the flesh before I bought this and they looked the same as my one, so I assumed it was the original, maybe first version. It seemed a bit dated but I assumed as it was an older prop that was how it was as a whole. Will pm you a couple of pics thanks.
M.O
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of M.O
Could explain the lack of instructions received with it too.
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
161 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Thanks for the pics. It appears to be a copy, the table base flange is round, not square and to my knowledge CW only made them square. The on off switch is in a different place and the other props are different to CW versions. If it works for you, stick with it as the Cw versions are becomming harder to find and tend to appreciate in value.

With regard to the rechargeable batteries I'm no expert with these but my guess would be to give them a good charge for at least 12 hours before each performance. Not sure I'd trust rechareables with this type of prop though TBH.

Nick
www.darkartefacts.com

Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Got my CW Side Kick II in 2000 and used it for several years. A great prop. Most recently it was used for two seasons of 150 daily performances. I got 8 shows from the two 9v batteries. My routine runs about 13 min. I would turn it on just as I was getting it in place, and turned it off clearing the stage.

I may be a little slow in understanding why the frequency of the transmitter is a secret.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
M.O
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of M.O
Thanks for taking a look. I eventually found out why the prop was taking so long to charge; there was a loose connection that was okay whenever I turned the table over to have a look but was falling loose again when I was charging it. Did a little DIY and it's working perfectly again. Charge time on this one was about 2 hours with the charging unit that came with it. Other than that it has been working well and gave a very reliable performance yesterday. Pity it isn't the original but does the job in the way I need it to.
johnsigdv
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of johnsigdv
Converting an Early Jumbo Sidekick To Sound and Remote

I have a 97/98 vintage Jumbo Sidekick Sound activated. I would like to be able to go between the Mike activation and a remote. I just went through the unit and am staring at the Black Epoxied circuit board. Is it possible to add a remote trigger by switching between the mike and a Rx unit that mimics the Mikes action I am guessing it supplies a short to trigger the unit? Any help is appreciated. It is amazing what you can get from China these days in the way of miniature remote TX's and RX's. I just updated a Powell Card Box fountain with a Micro Rx that accepts 9-36V. Works like champ. I have also redone a Jumbo ORC rising card so it is bi-directional like a Contento Rising Deck.

Regards,

John Major Gilbert
Major Magic Creations
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Mine isn't working, too. Has anyone found a solution?