The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Another wash out... Beginning to think the UK has had its day. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
So I was booked to do a job in Somerset this weekend, which was cancelled earlier this week due to flooding and general bad weather. So I managed to get another gig for the same weekend in North Wales, working the Abergele Carnival. And guess what? Yep, another washout forcing cancelation.

I hope things start to drain away soon, I'm supposed to be at Rowin Carnival next weekend. Its looking a bit grim Smile

Anyone here know what the festival circuit around southern Spain or south of France is like? Might have to think about relocating to warmer climates for next season.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yep Ros its the worse season for cancelations we have ever had, From Stoke Goldin through to the week after next Weymouth Steam Rally its all been shot.
What shows will rise from the floods next year will be slimmed down if opened ever again.

You can try what we do with working Cabaret short notice but the fee has to be really dropped a lot (Around %50) In order to break into this.

Im lucky we have the shop now,,,dosnt make a fortune but ticks over and feeds us.

Best of luck,,,,and don`t let this put you off ok.

Ken.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
It won't put me off. Just need to find an angle that means I can work.

Indoor events etc...

Ken, if you can offer any help on getting a few cabaret gigs much appreciated.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Only advice I can give on Cabaret (As its thin on the ground, not like it used to be back in the 70`s) Try the obtuse ie:-Jewish gatherings,Wedding Fairs etc to promote what you do. I know of two doing quite well out of weddings. Even pick up work in pubs,,go in, do something to establish yourself (Blockhead works well) Talk the Landlord into it and off you go. Landlords know each other and I have six pubs which I can hook into if Im desperate.Also pubs have now started to have their own Fundays, this is where your escapes can score well. Especialy if they use you as a pull for their day.

Yes I know its rotten work and dosn`t pay what the shows do,,,but we have to live !!!!

Or open a Joke shop (Not near me please).

Im sure you will find a notch in the end and have what we call a convalescant option.

Ken.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Kondini--
Great recommendation regarding "Blockhead." You know, Melvin Burkhardt was a good friend of mine while I was living in Florida. Sadly, too short of a time was spent with him. I also like the version you do with the drill... is it original with you?

Regarding your shop, is it a Joke shop? Do you sell any magic tricks to the public? All originals I presume. I wish you well with getting through the tough season.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Silverstone was very sticky but we got the two spots done before Fairford which thank goodness was on hard standing. Did our usual single spot when the Arrows went over so everyone looked up (What mis direction for a cable tie cut !!!).

Still havnt managed to fill in next w/e (With Weymouth / Portland being shot) So will proberly if dry do Stonehenge or Avebury stones if possible.

Ken
BTW Bridgewater Fair and Pack Monday had openings up to last week,,,think that's for mid October and end week. Both of these are good tobers.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Stop Press :- WE are into Bridgewater and Ros there are still a few spaces left. Also Sherborne Pack Monday. Been on the dog and bone since 6;30 am !!!!

Ken
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Rowin Carnival still going ahead, so I'm going to be there next weekend.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Best of luck its in a very wet area and if it rains it proberly will there.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Rowen went well. Blue sky and even sunshine. Sadly Dacorum Rally has just postponed until 29th September. Now need to fill the weekend on 28th July. I'm not enjoying this season.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
None of us are happy with this but it can only get better !!! Or worse.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
A day in England when it DOESN'T rain... now that's a rarity!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yes a rare thing .....but at least we have plenty of water for our tea!!!!!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Stop press Dunster is going ahead, ground in front of the Castle.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Had a small accident Wednesday, I'm ok (apart from the general soreness of shoulders and neck) but my van is off the rd until Tuesday when a replacement will be delivered.

This season is just getting better and better!!!
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Vans can be replaced,,,peeps cant!!!!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
That's true. Just seems to be one thing after another this year.

Things could always be worse.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Final verification that Dunster is on also Tortworth (Shakespears Steam Rally) The following week is still going ahead,,,see yer there.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I think a dumpster should be worth more than tort.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Mmmmm... I like tort.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter