The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: What are the best science "tricks" for a close up magician? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Pen through water bottle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wJkl_QZwvo
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
Conjuring w. bananas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuXMTrzMlsQ. Don Herbert a.k.a. Mr. Wizard was awesome!

Andrew
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Check out the "Magic Sword" in the magic tricks section on E-bay. Its a little round plastic box with a pirate that cuts his sword thru a solid metal pin. Its an absolutely fantastic (I think optical) illusion. It only cost a few dollars and it mind boggling.

Rick
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I agree, "Magic sword" is a great piece of magic.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
I am a science teacher so I've had a big interest in this. Off the top of my head: wiregram, fizz master, bottled up, crush (gimmickless method), crush, the spirit bell from thought jump, a ton of frixion pen and highlighter tricks such as the appearing ink from Eric Ross's Steal This DVD, Clippo such as Jim Steinmeyer's from the conjuring anthology, bending Listerine strip from Jeff McBride's 3 DVD set shot at burning man, mindbender, the cinnamon gum thing from Anthony Jaquin, Calen Morelli's pen in bottle etc.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
Sorry the second crush should say uncrush. Also, Rick Lax's water and ice and pepper trick and shrinking bag from his laptop lecture.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
Any of the inverted glass of water tricks such as the one from Dan Harlan's first tarbell novelty magic. Ill try to keep posting as I remember more
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
You can do a lot of science tricks with magnetized water:

MatrixAddict
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MatrixAddict
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2013, J-L Sparrow wrote:
In Joshua Jay's book "Magic: The Complete Course" he explains a trick that uses "Science!"

He calls the trick "Four Elements," and it is done with a saucer, an empty glass, some water, a lemon wedge, and a book of matches. (I've found that you can use a small birthday candle in place of the lemon wedge and the matches, provided you have something to light the candle with.)

Make sure there is adult supervision, as fire is involved. (I take no responsibility for any injuries or damages incurred as a result of performing this trick.)

Basically, you pour water into a saucer, and stand lit a match/candle in the middle of the saucer. Then you overturn an empty glass so that it completely covers the match/candle. Once the flame goes out, the water in the saucer will actually get sucked up into the glass!

I won't go over the details here, but it's a cute little trick that's more science than illusion.

I really need to pick up this book. I'm going to have to try this effect, thanks!