The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Alcatraz box - Michael Chatelain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Just saw this demo'd on the Wizard Product Review (7/25/2012, second part of the FISM special), and I wondered why Craig had to discard the first two cards he chose and choose a third before the trick could be done. Doesn't seem like it could be a f***e that failed twice, since the selected card is signed, and you can see bits of the signature through the holes when the card appears on top. Is there some reason the selected card can't be a face card?

Whatever the case, it does look good. I particularly like the idea of the variation where the entire deck's backs change color in the box, except for the selected card. But if there's a possibility that you'd have to tell the spectator twice that he chose the wrong card and needs to choose another...that's a problem.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
I'm not sure why he asked them to specifically go for a spot card only purely to do with aesthetics as with any card trick that involves a spectators signature you want it to be visible to have the impact when the card rises to the top. The card that changes is not gimmicked in any way

In this situation you would just have the deck spread face up and ask the spectator to choose a card that has lots of blank space so that they can sign their name or draw a picture on it
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
It looks great visual effect. Just wondering if people will think weird to see card box with so many holes.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Box with loadsa holes in? Wahaaaaaayyyy.... Meh.

Justin Miller's Freedom Pack was well worth the effort to gaff. No tell. No Tenyo moment.

This?

Holes, everywhere.

I love filling holes, don't get me wrong.

For this trick?

Meh. Meh. Meh.

"He had this mad box that did all this s**t!"
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
David Penn had the best line. After being given a 'free choice" of any card and being told to pick another one after two pic card were chosen, David Says "Your classic force is crap". Very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2tcQBEsagg

I'm sure it's clever, but the card box with holes doesn't appeal to me. Astor's Visible Ambitious looks far superior to this and it's $30 less.

Pass.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
The card box with holes in it doesn't bother me too much, especially since it can be examined. I think close-up magicians sometimes worry too much about every prop being "organic" so no one ever thinks "why does he have X"?

Do illusionists worry about the audience thinking "Why does he have a big, shiny, human-sized cabinet with holes for the face, hands, and feet"? Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
French, good points. I'm willing to be swayed if the reviews are solid.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The official trailer looked better than on the Wizard show. It's a VERY closeup view:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14587
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
That does look good. Nice to see the other routines demonstrated. The single-card change is especially impressive, since the card is not right up against the "front" holes when the change happens. If the box can be examined before that effect, I'm stumped and impressed.
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
For the effect of the single card change no the box cannot be examined before or after the effect however as with most card changes the heat will be on the card that changes not the box.

As for the look of the box and whether it looks like a prop surely it is more organic than the Wow gimmick. It's just a standard card box with some holes cut in it.
gimmickless
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of gimmickless
Is this easy to do?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
The holes create intrigue. This is a good thing. Taking a normal object and altering like this creates immediate interest. It starts a conversation. All you have to do is remove the box and people will immediately ask about it. Perfect way to get into the routine. How is that a bad thing? How is that "meh"? The effect to a lay person is far from meh!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Cameron, thanks for your input. It's aways good to have a professional's view on things!
sonarghost
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of sonarghost
I really didn't think of that either Cameron. If you pull out a box with holes in it anyone, including me, would wonder why there is holes in it and ask. The trick almost "presents" itself. Didn't think about it that way. Thanks for the insight!
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I just got it. Another clever gimmick from Michael Chatelain. Very easy to do and it's recommended item.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Available in the UK from http://dudethatscoolmagic.co.uk/

£36
gimmickless
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of gimmickless
Quote:
On 2012-08-04 04:31, djurmann wrote:
Available in the UK from http://dudethatscoolmagic.co.uk/

£36

better buy it in usa, only 45usd. Smile
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
This is one of the hardest tricks to find right now, its sold out everywhere I've checked. Must be great! I gotta have it!
Posting ever so slightly.