The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Draven Reviews: Cinch by Shaun Robison (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, NV
486 Posts

Profile of William Draven
Title: Cinch
Artist: Shaun Robinson
Producers: Paper Crane Magic
Link: http://www.papercranemagic.com/cinch.htm
Retail Price: $24.95 USD
Learning Difficulty: Easy
Length of DVD: 18 Minutes
Notes: The DVD has important PDF files on it that should be printed from your computer if you wish to perform variations of Cinch.

Includes:
• Instructional DVD
• PDF file on DVD disk

DVD Features:
• Play All
• Chapters
◦ Intro
◦ Construction
◦ Performance Tutorial
◦ Carrying the Gimmick
◦ Variations
◦ Credits

Cinch is a visual, easy to perform bill change that happens at your finger tips.

Cinch is, as advertised, a very easy very visual bill change that can be done in your fingertips without the need of certain well known, well loved, well used magician apparatuses, or complex sleight of hand. The beauty of this effect is how quickly it can be set up, performed, and put back away. It is certainly a street performer’s best friend, and a close up miracle that I think you will absolutely love.

The DVD isn’t very meaty, being that you can get through the entire thing in just under 20 minutes. Shaun explains the gimmick, it’s construction, and how to perform the basic routine of Cinch in a way that is clear and easy to follow. The gimmick construction is simple enough, and can be put together with relative ease. The down side is you only get enough gimmick material to make a single gimmick of Cinch. Since the DVD comes with another two variations that I know you will want to try you’ll need to go out to your local hobby store and pick up more of what the gimmick is in order to build more Cinch’s. The gimmicks are cheap, and once you know what they are I’m fairly certain you can even find them online cheaply in need be. The basic presentation is a folded up piece of blank paper. You unfold the paper showing both sides in the process, and then fold it back up. By quickly snapping open the blank paper you all of a sudden have a REAL bill of any denomination that you want at your fingertips that can immediately be handed out for inspection! Reset isn’t instant, but easy enough if you can get someplace quiet and out of the way of prying eyes.

You also get a couple of other variations, which in my opinion hit harder than the basic application. The first variation is called Denomination Change, and is the least favorite of mine of the two. Denomination Change changes the bill from a blank piece of paper, to a one dollar bill on the first fold, a five dollar bill on the second fold, a ten dollar bill on the third fold, and when you open it it’s a real 20 dollar bill that you can hand out. The second variation is my personal favorite because I like the creation idea that is being presented. You start out with a blank paper, and as you fold it a bill slowly becomes more visible as it fades into existence ending with a real bill that can be handed out for inspection.

The practicality of this effect is primal when considering it is one of those things that you can set up in advance, stick in your wallet, and carry it with you anywhere you go. If you have an ink jet printer at home, you can set up the other variations, or have multiple copies of your favorite variation set in your wallet ready to perform at a moment’s notice. The strong visual nature of this effect will appeal to both audience members and magicians alike, and the simplicity of the effect will insure that even the beginners in magic can perform a stunning piece of money magic that is sure to be a reputation maker for them.

Overall I’m very impressed with Shaun’s work on Cinch. It’s a very visual piece of magic that is as simple as it is fun to perform. I’ve got one variation setup in my wallet every time I walk out the door and I plan on making this one a worker for me in the months to come.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8
Easy to make, fun to perform, and at a fair price for a DVD that comes with enough secret stuff to make one gimmick.

Teaching Quality: 8
Shaun’s teaching in this DVD is superb.

Video & Sound Quality: 7
I’m not a huge fan of Paper Crane’s general background music, but it’s not that bad in this DVD. Sound and video quality are both well done.

Overall Quality: 8
This product has earned the Draven Seal of Approval. This is going to be an effect you’re going to love the heck out of! I applaud Paper Crane and Shaun for producing a quality product that I’m proud to recommend to anyone looking to add that extra bit of impromptu element or money magic to their act.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4323 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Thank you for your review. In addition to the "special" paper needed to make additional gimmicks, you will also need an inexpensive paper cutter to cut the paper to specific and exacting dimensions for it to work properly.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thanks for such a detailed review.
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Hi gang, anyone has managed to produce a Euro version in A4 printable printable (looking for an appearing 20 with different shades) ?
thanks
VG