The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Puzzle me this... :: The "Eagle" Rope Restoration Puzzle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Imagine you open your favorite magic magazine, and see this ad:

THE "EAGLE" ROPE RESTORATION

A New Era rope restoration!

Think of it: The spectator hands you ANY piece of rope. He marks the exact center with a pen or crayon. You OPENLY cut the rope exactly into two pieces. The audience sees that there are two pieces. You place the cut rope behind your back for one second. When it is again shown, the rope is fully restored to its original length.

The rope is not switched. There are no loose bits of rope left over as in the old (and now obsolete) methods. The spectator may even cut the rope themselves!

How is this possible?

(Note to mods - Please trust me that I'm not exposing anything here, and this is a puzzle. Please don't remove this post.)
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Not sure if this breaks the "no loose bits" part, but if the rope is cut in the middle _along_ the rope, you get two pieces of the original length. But restored? Nah. Smile

Someone else?

/Tomas
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Scott,

Not certainif this is a relevant question at this point but is the cut made in the "traditional" manner (In the center of a folded loop of rope) versus cutting the rope in half along the longitudinal axis (where you'd get two pieces of rope each of which is the original length of the rope).

As I say, I'm not certain that this information is relevant, I'm just trying to think outside the box a little.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Actually, Tomas got the right answer. You cut the rope in half lengthwise. Remember, I only said it was "restored" to its original length. I never said it was restored to its original width.
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Sneaky. Smile And fun that it was magic related.

Thanks,

/Tomas
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
This puzzle originally appeared in the April 1966 issue of Pallbearer's Review, and is credited to Jay "Volta" Weiler.

Besides the wonderful magic effects in there, they occasionally had wonderful puzzles.