The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Suitcase Table--drawers versus shelves (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I wanted to hear people's thoughts on whether to use shelves or drawers in a suitcase table? Shelves would be nice because you could adjust the height of them. The drawers you can use as a kind of servante.
Does anyone have any preferences on this issue? Thanks.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Jim,
My $.02.
Shelves are nice for the reason you suggested. You could also have the top shelf either pull out or slide out to also use as a servante.

The two disadvantages that I see about shelves are:
1. It would be harder to pack things securely for moving it. Drawers might hold the items better.
2. shelves could also you to get your stuff disorganized and difficult to find during a show, such as looking around for the deck of cards that ended up all the way at the back. Using drawers would keep your props organized. I have been thinking about going to drawers for that very reason. I could set my props in the drawers acocrding to how I used them in the show and get the stuff out as I needed them, i.e. trick 1 I open drawer 1.

I really don't have much use for a servante since I use a pouch (like the old conjurors did), but my suggestion would be to have a combination of both. A top shelf or two and drawers underneath, which could also be used for storage of spare props and neccessities (you do carry back ups of your stuff, don't you?).

Let me knwo what you decide.

Good luck.
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you, Scot. I will be deciding about this in the next week or so because I'm building the table right now. As soon as the outside of the table is done, I'll be deciding. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your thoughts; it has helped me think further.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Do both, The Laflin table does both, has a drawer and the top opens as a servete, and the insides serve as a storage for getting and placing props back, and the wins (from the top) serve as a table and the fromt serves as a placed for a changing velcro sign. A nice well desgigned alternative to the Lefler table.

The drawer can hold a small amp and mini sound system, or use it for the base stand.

See Picture of Laflin Table
Dennis Michael
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you, Dennis. I think I will do a bit of both actually. I think I'm going to do a combination of the Viking suitcase table and the Joe Lefler. Really like the idea of having the sound system in the table itself. I will post a picture of the finished table.
Jim
DP the Great
View Profile
Regular user
CC, Texas
198 Posts

Profile of DP the Great
Having a sound system in the table sounds awsome. Has anyone accomplished this. Can someone post pictures? Thanks -DP
D. P. the Great
www.dpandedmagic.com
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
James, sounds good to go for a draw and shelf combination. Best of both worlds!
Looking forward to seeing your finished table.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hi, James:

My last suitcase table had a sound system in its base, and I was not happy with its performance. (I use a Pignose Lil' PA system.) My thinking was that I could simply roll into a banquet or wedding gig and have everything in one case, which was nice from a portability standpoint. After six or seven attempts, I had to give it up -- the sound was muddy and I had to change to an elevated stand for my PA.

On the street? Dunno. Your mileage may vary, and my $0.02 is submitted FWIW.

Leland
DP the Great
View Profile
Regular user
CC, Texas
198 Posts

Profile of DP the Great
Anyone think of bringing the suitcase table and a small table with external speakers? Then you could use the suitcase table for your props and set up the small table next to it, putting the speaker amp or whatever under it. Then the sound quality wouldn't be so bad. Has anyone done this? What are the results? Any ideas about this? Thanks -DP
D. P. the Great
www.dpandedmagic.com
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
Here is an update link to the laflin table if anybody is interested...

http://www.chaletstephens.com/catalog.html
Rodney Rash
View Profile
New user
Texas
12 Posts

Profile of Rodney Rash
I have played with the Idea of a PA in the table I found there wasn’t enough room for many props in the table after putting the equipment in the table. It’s a wonderful Idea I hope you solve it. I ultimately building two tables one to hold the PA and the draws were used as a place to store microphones and a music system. I would latch the two table together for travel. Good luck

Rodney
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Anumber of tables have been designed with built-in sound systems. The first question to ask yourself is can one sound set-up work for all my venues, most of my venues, some of my venues, etc. If not, why am I building it into my table. If is meets most, then how do I make sure it will perform in the box well. Is it possible I am simply better off with something like a Fender Pro Sound which is self-contained except for wireless mikes.

As to shelves and drawers take the time to consider how they made be made interchangeable. This allows different configuration; something that might be helpful in the future.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."