The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Help with anything but cards and coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JoaoJorge
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of JoaoJorge
Hi I am a brazillian magician , I have been a magician for one year and all I've done is card magic. I dare to say I am a presentable(not great) card magician
but every presentation I do I feel like I need stuff that isn't cards (i hate coins , they weren't made for me) so all I am asking for is a starting point
I am asking for books and dvds on other types of magic. Thank you.
Joao Jorge
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1453 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
You might want to check out Diamond Jim Tyler's DVD "Pockets Full of Miracles". There are a few card effects in this DVD but also lots of other relatively easy to do effects. Jay Sankey also has a DVD on the market called "Magic With Ordinary Objects". Hope this helps.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I suggest checking out works of Jay Sankey and L&L Publishing's 'World's Greatest Magic' series.
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
I suggest Rubber Band magic...
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-05-17 18:54, JoaoJorge wrote:
Hi I am a brazillian magician , I have been a magician for one year and all I've done is card magic. I dare to say I am a presentable(not great) card magician
but every presentation I do I feel like I need stuff that isn't cards (i hate coins , they weren't made for me) so all I am asking for is a starting point
I am asking for books and dvds on other types of magic. Thank you.
Joao Jorge

That kind of brings you down to individual trick purchasing at this point. Most other kinds of tricks use special made props, no matter what design they are.

Other only other way is learning improptu magic tricks, or take the advice on the World's Greatest Magic video on specialized magic trick topics.

It all depends on your outlook on the kind of magic you want to perform. If you can, visit a magic shop in your country.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Use a thumb tip to vanish a silk. cheap, easy and a great visual effect.

you could get a chop cup or a mini-chop cup... there are easy routines that play great... and you can practice a lot with it to create better routines.

I like the colour changing knives a lot. I can show you my routine if you want

I like the matchbox penetration trick... I play if off as a guessing game... guess what's inside, and you get two clues, you can see that the toothpick goes through it and you can feel that it's heavy. of all the close-up gimmick tricks I've bought, I use this one a lot. I like it because it's easy... I never screw it up... no one figures out how it works... and it's small so it's easy to carry around.

putting people's cell phones inside balloons is fun (pressure).

rubber band magic (as mentioned above).

a really cheap trick that plays pretty well is putting the dice in the black plastic film canister with the red lid and then knowing their number... I forget what it's called.. .but it's easy, cheap, small, and is a pretty good little mentalism effect.

you could get a pk ring. quite a few things you can do with that. making it look like you can put folded up bottle caps into beer bottles I think is a good trick.

linking rings are good. I've been meaning to get myself a mini-set.

I've also been doing magic for about a year and these are some of the close up tricks I like to do. I also do a lot of card tricks and packet tricks... so I like to try to balance them out with non-card tricks. but I do also like coin tricks. so I do a mix of card, coin, and close-up.... and half of my card tricks are mentalism type card tricks... so there's a lot of variety there.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Gypsy Thread (L&L has a dvd)

Ring (finger) and Rope (L&L has a DVD)

Currency (magIc with bills/notes) there are many great ones.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Rope magic is very rewarding as well. you just need a good teaching dvd and some rope.
most all ages love this type of magic. and its not that hard to learn either.
todd
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1163 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I think it's good to have a variety of effect and routines in your repetoire, so I applaud your effort. Other good props in my opinion, that are great alternatives to cards and coins, including; sponge balls, tricks with bills (i.e. bill switch), ring and string, ring and rope, rubber bands, keys, etc...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Rope and Ring and Rope.

Daryl, Aldo, Loomis, Flip.

There are many more excellent sources for Rope and Ring and Rope (some of whom post here).

I second (or third) the Gypsy Thread L&L suggestion.

Magic with Dollar Bills is also a winner.

If you decide to go in a specific direction ask for some detailed advice. There is plenty here.

-Mary Mowder
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Read the Tarbell Course.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Acolophon
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Acolophon
I have been exploring books for beginners recently and I was amazed with the quality of two in particular.
Firstly "Big Book of Magic Tricks" by Karl Fulves; and secondly The Secrets of Alkazar by Allan Zola Kronzek.
Both of these books "blew me away" with the quality of the writing and the imparting of knowledge on not only good tricks but basic grounding in routining and misdirection. Besides all that they are both a very good read!