The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Vernon's Cups and Balls Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2004-01-07 00:11, jimisolo wrote:
Speaking of Vernon's Cups and Balls routine, did anyone around here learn his routine from his Revelations video? Maybe it was just me, but I found this to be quite frustrating.

DVD's are always easier to navigate, and personally I like the Vernon Revelation/Early Ammar stuff just for reference & history on the men. I have a few of them each, and I've heard of and seen A LOT of duplication. I've experienced the same problems that you have.
Quote:
I finally just sat down and wrote the dang thing out on a pad of paper from beginning to end. Don't pretend I'm the only one. Smile

[snip, snip]

Jumping into it from the Professor, himself, seemed like a mistake in the beginning. All the rewinding, the writing, the pausing, the watching it again from the beginning, erasing and re-writing...I thought I was going to go nuts.

Give this man a prize Charlie! No, I write EVERYTHING that I learn out on paper with sleights added to the text. Then I go a step further and transfer it to poster board, and hang it on the wall next to a large mirror. Now I can watch my presentation, the sleights, the audience, and read along while I practice. Excessive? It works for me and I thoroughly learn the routine.

I've also found that my presentation and eye contact has become better in performance because of this style of practice. With the length of time it takes to get all the necessary aspects down with the cups, it's MO that everyone should start w/ a hard routine. You're learning the routine as you learn the sleights, and beat it into your head.
Quote:
After a few days of "deciding it was time to stop for now" Smile , and then going back over my notes and the video again and again - I found that it had really helped my understanding of the routine and the individual steps. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that if my initial "frustration" had not challenged me in the way that it did, that there is no way that I would have studied it as thoroughly as I had.

Besides going over your notes, have you tried starting the routine from all different possible points? I've found doing this gives you extreme confidence, knowing that you have tried everything not to get thrown off while performing the routine.

Extra Effort is ALWAYS worth the time, that's where a lot of magician's fall short IMO.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)