The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Enhancing Your Ability to Work Wonders - by Brad Burt :: How to be different.... (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I've been thinking lately about what it means to "Be Yourself" as far as a performer is concerned. I tweeted some ideas that I thought I would try and pull together here.

First, let me say that I honestly believe that 'being oneself' successfully as a performer is much easier than most folks want to make it. Even IF, by the way, that means that 'how' you perform is different in some fashion from the way you would be 'normally'. I mean think about: Performing magic either for fun or for money is NOT what most folks find 'normal'. Being oneself on the Basketball court is not a problem. Right? When you tell your wife that you are going out to shoot some hoops she doesn't think to say, "Hey, honey, just be yourself!"

And, yet, as performers we are constantly enjoined to 'be unique', etc. Really? Look at it this way: How can YOU ... NOT...be unique??? How would you do that? Let's say you take a new trick you just bought. You learn the moves and the patter EXACTLY as given. You then look up the guy who invented it on YouTube and low and behold you find him doing HIS trick and you attempt to copy him EXACTLY. You get the same clothes, you try and have his accent, etc.

Here's the money question: Would that make YOU...HIM? The answer is obvious: No.

So with that in mind consider how little YOU or I have to work to just be different and unique compared to the next guy or gal. Not much. We already are unique. I've know two pairs of exact twins that were nothing like each other except in looks!

What I'm trying to say is this: RELAX!!! Don't worry about trying to BE different. You ARE different. Seems so obvious doesn't it?

Also...it's not that difficult to change already written patter to fit you more personally. It just isn't. Everyone is so scared to 'change' something as if changing a word or even a paragraph will in some way invalidate the routine. Now, maybe it won't be as strong for some reason, but that's part of the learning process. If it's not as strong...WHY? What an exciting opportunity to 'figger' it out! Gain some new insight as to what makes magic work.

Concentrate on doing the magic itself the best you can. YOUR personality will then insert itself naturally. Then you go on from there.

Look forward to your success!!!
Brad Burt