The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Silk Serenade Question (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Hello all!

I am looking for a jumbo or stage size version of the Pavels Silk Serenade Colour changing records. I mean about 14 inchs in diameter. I will be very grateful if you can point me to a magic shop which sells these.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Soleil
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do you know of this even being made in this size? I sure don't!

Silk Serenade is the color change of long playing records. I believe even real records only are 12 inches in diameter.

This trick is pretty much dead due to the CD music industry change. I suggest you take the Silk Serenade 45 size record trick to a copy or printer store and have them enlarge the ones you have. They can make any changes you want to the records and then have them print it out on their large format printer. They will even plastic coat the card stock for you so it lasts longer.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I think Bill is correct. I have only seen these in 7" (standard 45 record size).
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I lost my buddy Pavel last year and I have two sets of Silk Serenade I can use with "vintage" audiences.

Like the others, I have no reason to believe that true Silk Sernade is available in a larger size.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- We are getting nearer Pavel's birthday of April 4th. He would be 67.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bob, I hear what you're saying. I have a set of Pavel's, "Silk Serenade" for sale, but I use the color-changing records regularly. In fact, I use them as part of one of my favorite closing routines. I Because the records are "outdated" is actually what makes them work for this particular routine. I actually turned that fact onto a plus for me.
Mister Mystery
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Thank you very much! I will follow thé advice and will make bigger ones based on the original model.

Best,

Soleil
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I recently used Silk Serenade to music in a Rock & Roll themed piece-"Rock around the clock", I played up the part of the rocker.

The audience of about 400 was older but the records once changed colour were put on a visible stand and it played really well. It was the first time in over 20 years I had used it-Great fun.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Last night I watch Silk Serenade being used in a competition!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- He came in at second place!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
For those who do Silk Serenade or any of its variants, a couple of tips I've come up with over the years:
1) I made a Himber LP record album cover. You know, the kind of album cover that opens like a book. A lot of Broadway LPs came that way. I made one that, as I suggest, used the Himber wallet principle. Open one way, it had clear acetate half-pockets that held the black 45rpm records. I removed them, did the color changes, and then replaced them into the open album cover. Close the album cover and say "Hocus Pocus" and then re-open it to show a 7-inch rainbow record. (I made my 7-inch rainbow record from an old 7-inch "Teach Yourself French" vinyl record set.)

2) I did my patter along the lines of a "Name That Tune" category, humming "Red Roses for a Blue Lady," "The Yellow Rose of Texas," and "Call Me Mr, Blue."

I used the version sold I think by Tricks Ltd that used a heavier, shinier finish on the 45s. I also bought two sets and glued them together to give the 45s more body. (I always thought they looked a little flimsy as they come from the dealer.)

I also performed the color changes with a kind of one-hand Ascanio-spread.

For the climax, I would re-insert the three now colorful records into their transparent acetate pockets, close the album cover, make a magical gesture... and then reopen the album cover to show one giant, rainbow record.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On 2012-03-16 23:18, Anatole wrote:
For those who do Silk Serenade or any of its variants, a couple of tips I've come up with over the years:
1) I made a Himber LP record album cover. You know, the kind of album cover that opens like a book. A lot of Broadway LPs came that way. I made one that, as I suggest, used the Himber wallet principle. Open one way, it had clear acetate half-pockets that held the black 45rpm records. I removed them, did the color changes, and then replaced them into the open album cover. Close the album cover and say "Hocus Pocus" and then re-open it to show a 7-inch rainbow record. (I made my 7-inch rainbow record from an old 7-inch "Teach Yourself French" vinyl record set.)

2) I did my patter along the lines of a "Name That Tune" category, humming "Red Roses for a Blue Lady," "The Yellow Rose of Texas," and "Call Me Mr, Blue."

I used the version sold I think by Tricks Ltd that used a heavier, shinier finish on the 45s. I also bought two sets and glued them together to give the 45s more body. (I always thought they looked a little flimsy as they come from the dealer.)

I also performed the color changes with a kind of one-hand Ascanio-spread.

For the climax, I would re-insert the three now colorful records into their transparent acetate pockets, close the album cover, make a magical gesture... and then reopen the album cover to show one giant, rainbow record.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

Very cool, Sonny. Nice idea with the himber style lp cover. The color changing and finale you mention remind me somewhat of color changing wreaths (which I like to perform, especially with kids).

Thanks for sharing.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
This was one of the first parlor/stage tricks I did as a kid - Now I normally use the color changing wreaths but still sometimes break it out when doing a "hop-sock" theme.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Color changing juggling rings have not gone out of style, and are not likely to, so just add the silk part as a combination of juggling silks and juggling rings with magic color changes, fo those who know how it's done.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
63 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Hi all

I also had Silk Serenade in my kit as a teenager but no longer use it. However I like the idea around it and would like to update it if I can find a context that justifies putting a coloured scarf through a record/cd. Love to hear other thoughts about a more contemporary reading of this effect.

Also, haven't heard of the color changing wreaths. Who sells them?

Andrew
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 21:15, AndyMac68 wrote:
Hi all

I also had Silk Serenade in my kit as a teenager but no longer use it. However I like the idea around it and would like to update it if I can find a context that justifies putting a coloured scarf through a record/cd. Love to hear other thoughts about a more contemporary reading of this effect.

Also, haven't heard of the color changing wreaths. Who sells them?

Andrew

You don't have to put a silk through the center of the pocket folder. Do it any way you wish, but if you don't see that it does not make any sense if you don't you are lost, and will reveal the magic.

It is not our job to "sell" you to use any effect in a certain manner. Don't like it or magic that don't make sense to you, then don't do it.

Many dealers sell the Color Changing Wreaths.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There have been 2 other Color Changing Records from years ago on the market. Bob Kline (famous for making high quality Copentro, and Plexiglas items) made a really nice plastic record set with a music symbol stand and James Rainho made a version from real records.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yes! The one with the real records was called (I believe) Silk Symphony, and I had that as well. That set was lost in the foreclosure, so it's GONE!

You guys ever seen that one? I didn't know it was from James Rainho, though. Absolutely perfect, because I was a radio DJ, and we played 45's on the radio on big iron turntables that were 16" platters! Man, I miss those days! Silk Symphony was my finale for years...

Doug
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Not that I remember personally but LPs had only a tiny hole so it would be impossible to pull a scarf through the center anyway.

Mary Mowder
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I never used a silk with the Tricks Ltd version. I basically held the three records in one hand and did a kind of one-hand Ascanio Spread to effect the changes. But that only worked because, as I said, I took two sets and glued records together to give them more substantial body. I always thought the way "Silk Serenade" came, that the records look flimsy and--well, like cardboard. The Tricks Ltd records also were designed so that it looked like they had grooves, whereas (unless memory fails) the "Silk Serenade" records looked like ungrooved discs. I guess from a distance you can't tell if the grooves are there, but in performing anywhere close to the audience, I think the spectators would be able to tell that they're not really records.

Someone also came out with a color changing CD routine as I recall that wasn't too bad. Denny Haney lists one at
http://dennymagic.com/store/color-changing-cd.html
Since some music CDs are even sold in different colors and even with pictures on them, it makes a little sense to have them change color.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I use Silk Serenade all the time! I have a few Magic to Music routines I use with my own original songs. My audiences like it, I always get hand claps. I never mention records or care if people know what records are or not. The trick is easy, visual, colourful and I love performing it! Cheers!