The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Medicine show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Working on a 1860s medicine show and was hopeing for advice.
The "medicine" is going to be root beer, or, hot sause. the root beer is a buck cheeper. if that helps.

should this be a pitch, or a "free" to a tip over $X. ? I'm a busker and the tip thing is the norm for me but I have never pushed a product as part of the act, so I come to you, the guys who know this end of things.

Thanks Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
I would offer to sell the "product" but also say you except tips if you enjoyed the show. You might even be able to get venues to book out your show.
204rags
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of 204rags
Hi Polie Poke !! I developed a medicine show using a wagon on a trailer back in the late 1980's and used the "product" as a sort of sponsor of the magic and ventriloquism show. Periodically, between acts, I would plug the product and would hold up a bottle -- Princess Arrowhead Tonic and Indian Maiden Salve --- and give a speil about it. The sponsor was offering the show "free" which was the magic numbers and vent routine. There are several medicine show acts out there - Doc Holcoum, Tommy Windsor, and many others. Check magic dealers and then use their search engines by typing in "Medicine Show" in their book section.
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Also don't know if Tommy Scott's medicine Show is still operating out of Taccoa Georgia or not.