The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Announcements (Please Read) :: The WPR review and the fall-out... :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
MEMO: TO ALL Magic Café MEMBERS

SUBJECT: The WPR review and the fall-out...

Over the last two weeks there has been much controversy surrounding a specific review which aired on the WIZARD PRODUCT REVIEW.

During that time I have been in contact with the various parties involved and have spent countless hours via telephone and emails trying to understand what this whole affair is really about and in the process listened to all sides of the story.

Though it may surprise some of you reading this, I'm very confident in telling you I know much more about the situation than has been posted on the various forums. Smile

To date both sides have openly stated their cases on the Café and thousands of people have read these comments. However, enough is enough.

Having said, It is my opinion that as members you must realize that all the parties involved actually need to be handling this stuff in private, not on a public forum where thousands of people sit and post rumors, speculation, negative comments and even fight amongst themselves over issues that they themselves have nothing to do with. In addition, these people are very ignorant in so much as they do not necessarily have all the facts yet continue to point fingers...its ridiculous.

I see that various members have openly criticized my staff and I for removing posts on the subject at hand. Did it ever occur to any of them there just might be legitimate reasons for these removals? Keep in mind that civil discussions are one thing, downright mudslinging and name calling is quite another.

Those of you screaming; "What about freedom of speech?"

From our Rules & Policies:

Freedom of Speech

"Please remember that while you are certainly entitled to free speech, we are not obligated to provide the platform for your speech. Free speech does not mean anything goes: you are not free to discuss whatever nonsense you wish on this website. Please remember that we reserve the right to remove any post, at any time and with no explanation given to the poster".

(By the way, when the members of the Magic Café are willing to pay all my attorney fees, possibly lose their homes in the process, etc then perhaps I might be a bit more lenient on what I allow to be posted on this website. Smile )

Friends, this drama will not stop unless we ourselves stop it - I guarantee it. I know the magic community at large and especially the internet. If this continues EVERYONE will lose something, trust me.
As an example this mess has already begun to spread to other websites (Genii, etc) and is only going to get worse.

Having said all of that, I have had to make some important business decisions. The actions I am going to take are not to be taken personally. Business is business and friendship is friendship...this is business.

In addition to the reasons I've given above my legal council has also advised me to remove everything associated with this entire mess. This includes posts made by any of the parties involved including posts made by Café members themselves discussing the matter. In addition, the forum The Wizard Product Review by Craig Petty & David Penn and all of its contents will be removed as well.

Further, any new topics started or posts made concerning this subject will be immediately removed with no explanation given. After all, you are reading the explanation right now. Every Café member is receiving this notice via our private message system. In addition I will post this on the open forums so that any lurkers will have the opportunity to learn what is happening as well.

These actions will take place today and you have now been officially notified.

Again, this is nothing personal - this is a business issue and I wish all my friends only the best in settling the matter at hand with all the various individuals.

I hope none of you will think any less of me. I'm not anyone special, just someone who cares about magic and loves his friends in the art very much so please take this announcement and our actions in the spirit that they are intended. Smile

As ever - Steve Brooks

---
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks