The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Stealing Pips vs Skool of Hardknocks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shoeman
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of shoeman
I was wondering which one you guys recommend...was thinking of getting one of them...
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
If I had to choose, I would go for stealing pips, the school of hard knox was kind of boring considering it was filmed on the streets....
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Get Stealing Pips by Oz Pearlman. Both of them wern't very good, but School of Hardknocks was just sad compare to Pips.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Why get either? Get a book by Vernon and you're set for a long time.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
devin_devil
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of devin_devil
I heard both videos aren't really good.
Smile
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I heard the same.
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
329 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Hahah, this post honestly cracks me up as Rodney is one of my good friends. Smile Anyways, I tossed up some testimonials of what people in the magic community are saying about Stealing Pips. Check it out if you get a chance....
http://www.watchmagic.com/index2.php?p=products

-Ozer
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Thank's Oz...I ordered you DVD like a week a go...I am still waiting for it to come in...can't wait to see it!!!
~joeKing
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
I got stealing pips and sold it on ebay. Not because the magic was bad, but the dvd itself. I've talked to a number of other people who had similar problems with sound and picture. It worked fine in another dvd player I tried it in and not in mine or another. I can't afford to buy a new dvd player so I sold it. The sad thing was the performance worked fine, it was only when you went to the explanation that it did not work.

Low Phat
SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
Stealing Pips:

Not a bad DVd, but then again not a good one. Alot of the material is workable in the real world, but then again, it isn't very practical. One of the principles in particular would be totally useless in a bad lighting situation. Another of the principles would require you to remove three cards, put them in the deck face up in seperate places and then do an "X" move right in front of your spectators. You couldn't just take the deck right out of the box and do the Once Upon a Time effect.

Too much of the card magic on this DVD is wham bam thank you mam. I don't see much point in including "live performances" when you don't interact with your spectator what so ever. One good point about it is that he does teach the Bertram change to the highest caliber, and it is without doubt the best thing that he does on it.

don't get me wrong, I am not bad mouthing the DVD because I didn't think it was all together bad. Just not enough originality on it for my liking. Sure, they were his handlings, but they are all some one elses effects. Well done on getting a DVD out anyways, your out there working for Penguin, sessioning with Ken Krenzel and onto your next DVD, more power to you.

I wish I could say the same about the School of Hardknocks DVd, thankfully I didn't buy it. The biggest disappointment is Rodney doing magic at people, the name of the DVD was the first thing wrong in my opinion. This guy is not a worker and his card work looks far too much like ***. All of this plots are quick, too the point and sadly, inferior methods for everything he does. Again folks, nothing new here. His torn and restored card was particularly bad considering what people are doing with this plot nowadays. A standard four ace production that he does pretty badly (come on the card aren't even square on ace 1) followed by some lame cuts, performed excellently though. And he would have held his status as a flourisher, in my mind, if it wasnt for the lame flipback.

Basically, take the advice above. Sadly, neither will equip you with good solid working routines, neither will teach you much about being a working magician, and neither will stand you in better stead than a good book by Vernon, or anyone else for that matter. If you need to scracth your DVD itch, buy something by Mike Close or Gregory Wilson. Too of the best close up "workers" around today with good tried and tested material.

Also "OZ's Control" is actually Gilles Coutures or Hanks for those who know what I mean.
TrcikPony
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of TrcikPony
Get the Vernon book. Or get Mike Ammar's easy to Mater Series. Get something that credits the originators of these effects. I'm no longer ordering DVD's or effects by these youngsters that have sprung up.

Jeff
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Shaun,

you were perhaps a little harsher with your words than I would have been, but I agree pretty much 100% with what you said.

Low Phat
TrcikPony
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of TrcikPony
Soemtimes tough words are needed to get the point across. I wish more thought and care was put into these projects.
SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
I don't think I was harsh, I was totally honest and fair.
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Shaun,

I didn't say you were too harsh, I said you used harsher words. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Like I said I agree with you 100%. You were honest and fair, I guess you just had more guts to put it out there then what I did.

Low Phat Smile
Namzyr
View Profile
New user
Northern New Jersey
53 Posts

Profile of Namzyr
It's a shame when a video product actually gets in the way of appreciating the technique it's meant to showcase.

That's the case, I believe, with "Stealing Pips". While I may be overly picky about video production in general (I've been in TV way too long ...) the lighting caused shadows that I found distracting, and the overall feel of it was choppy.

Since Oz lives here in NYC, I figure he wouldn't have problems finding a good crew for the shoot!
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I thought the material taught on Stealing Pips was priceless Oz did a great job teaching and creating VERY powerful effects....Sure the production wasn't that great but it wasn't bad enough to make the DVD as a whole worthless...I personally do not have a problem with sounds at all.
~joeKing
bjsantiago
View Profile
New user
san diego
11 Posts

Profile of bjsantiago
Oz is a great teacher. I really enjoyed the DVD.
Namzyr
View Profile
New user
Northern New Jersey
53 Posts

Profile of Namzyr
Believe me, I have no problems with Oz's skills, and I do enjoy watching him work. And by no means did I infer that the DVD is worthless.

It's just that you could have the best material in the world, but if the production values aren't up to par, I personally get distracted and find it frustrating to work with.

Plus, I know lots of good people in production who could use the work!
strmagiceet
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of strmagiceet
I would say get School of Hardknocks, while it has some pretty dull effects, it shows performances out on the street, many people say the lighting is bad but it seems pretty okay to me.

stealing pips is a pretty good video, I only got it to learn the betram change, it is a good video, and I would reccommend it, but get school of hardknocks first.