The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: THE INVISIBLE DECK!!!! (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
Can do an easy deck switch if you just have a routine in-between using a regular deck then need a sharpie for another routine then go back and retrieve the other deck it's already forgotten.
Billy
rtzoltic72
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of rtzoltic72
I started using the Jay Sankey X idea a few years ago, and that is a great improvement to eliminate the sleight of hand possibility. It also gives the spectator something extra to think about. Although someone asking to see the deck was already very rare, the X seems to have eliminated that.
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
What about Thom Peterson - Pit boss ?!

Invisible deck with the one a head 🙏👌
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
Show the card reversed and ask them to take it out but don't look at it.

Put the deck in your pocket

There's only one card that was reversed - yours

The deck is out of sight before the reveal

Just a thought although I've never really had this problem come up personally!
Perhaps work on HOW it's presented - what's the process/the faux explanation/the pacing and leading of the effect

This will help IMHO
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3525 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
Show the card reversed and ask them to take it out but don't look at it.

Put the deck in your pocket

When you show the reversed card in the deck cut the deck at that point as you place the card on the table.

Because you cut the deck the deck in your hands now has a back and a front as it should. Put the deck back in the box making sure the spectators see the back as you do.

Don't pocket the deck yet. Have the spec turn over the card and as the audience reacts pick up the card and place it in the box. The card will go back to back with the card that is showing as a back in the box. You are reset.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3525 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I higly recomend the Roughing Stick by Harry Robson

I have poor vision so I buy jumbo index regular-sized decks and in about two minutes I can make my own invisible deck.

By only roughing the middle of the cards, the deck can be handled naturally but when you want to separate the cards you just move your fingers down to the lower part of the cards. This solves the problem of not having enough friction on your fingers which tends to happen as we get older.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
448 Posts

Profile of Avocat
I used to do a single-deck christened reverse (the “Fred” trick)

The Invisible Deck could be handled similarly. Openly spread the cards and invite a strictly mental choice. Close the spread, ask for the selection, maybe have the spec imagine reversing it, then immediately re-spread to show a single reversed card

You’d just need to “flop” the deck. The late Daryl Martinez had a great way to do this “move” without making it a “move.” Basically, from mechanic’s grip, you move your hand “around the deck” so your hand’s palm down while the deck effectively remains motionless in space. Then casually flip your hand and re-spread.

Haven’t tested this yet, I just thought of it now. But if you’ve seen my earlier posts on this subject, you’d know I’m obsessed with IMMEDIATELY showing the reversed card to eliminate ANY suspicion of fiddling/flipping/sleights
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
448 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Forgot - I also used a mini invisible Deck with a full size QH / AS flap card glued to it.

I ask for any card and produce the AS, turn it into the QH (the second most popular choice), then push it through my fist to turn it into a mini deck

The patter should be fairly obvious
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1793 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2015, J-L Sparrow wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2012, Aaron Smith Magic wrote:
Rather than doing math, I raise the cards to eye level, and spread the cards. At this point I'm simply looking at the opposite side, and I spread the cards where I need to.

This is the way Joshua Jay teaches it in his Magic: The Complete Course book. I like Joshua's method (and whole routine as well) so much that I do it that way exclusively now.

One nice advantage of Joshua's (and your) method is that there is no need to calculate or figure out which card is paired with the spectator's card (though you still have to know which "side" the spectator's card is on). The main disadvantage is that it's not as "angle proof" as the more common method, so you have to be mindful of where your spectators are standing.

But other than that one drawback, I think it's a fun and novel way to perform the Invisible Deck routine.

Agree, I have been using this method for many years and can concentrate on the fun and audience interaction of the routine, all Im looking for is the card
created by the audience in a tossed out deck style, which side of the deck odd or even, as I look for the card plays very strong..
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
My cleanup is to already put the deck away before even revealing the card.

Show one card face down, take it out, put deck away, spectator names card again, reveal named card.
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
@Hugh, sorry, but I'm chuckling a bit at the "I've been doing magic for quite a while" at 16, and getting busted on an invisible deck Smile Doing it for friends in school, sure, some might grab stuff, because it's school, not a show, or adults during a strolling performance. But then maybe it's not the right trick for that audience...

As for the people who say "It's not awesome enough for me to carry an extra deck.", I'll respectfully disagree and say that the presentation and story of an effect is what will make it awesome enough. I use it as a closer for my restaurant sets personally, with a few twists that make it not like a usual "invisible deck" presentation, which I used to do at first.

My version is with a torn corner (Colin McLeod does it like that as well, see his thread on it) and a signed card, that I give away to the spectator who participated. The whole premise is a story I tell them, and that I have them then reenact. The card is then found upside down, with a corner missing, and signed on its face. What allows me to replace cards as easily is using a R&S method that only needs treating one card, in my case the back of the face up cards for both decks. Then after closing the set I just go and reload a normal card already signed, that I then tear a corner of on the spot. I would love to find the corner at the end of the effect as a kicker (done that on stage with the normal invisible deck presentation, it adds a nice touch as the corner was torn off and thrown in the audience), but haven't found a way to produce said corner from an index that I'm happy with yet. Maybe one day Smile Oh and why "do maths" and count to 13, when you can put your ID in mnemonica stack Smile Looks shuffled and clean, not like only having 2 suits visible, you get to practice your stack while doing the ID, and as a bonus you know EXACTLY where the upside down card is in the spread, so no need to look for it as you spread!
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
dacsus65
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
16 Posts

Profile of dacsus65
I usually make sure they are "picking up" their invisible cards, stressing that deck is a souvenir and not sold locally ("I have to go to a shop in New York City just to get them" or similar), and whe everyone is focused on that I put the deck away then move on to the next trick or table. Out of sight, out of mind.