The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: A lifetime of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Is Jerry Andrus video set any good because Im taking back the Genuis at work DVD's and I might get the series or the Paul Harris Art of Astonishment books.
The books I heard were VERY nice so I am on the side of the books right now and any suggestion might sway me.
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-09-19 12:19, wikiro wrote:
Is Jerry Andrus video set any good because Im taking back the Genuis at work DVD's and I might get the series or the Paul Harris Art of Astonishment books.
The books I heard were VERY nice so I am on the side of the books right now and any suggestion might sway me.

The Jerry Andrus videos are fantastic. His methods are purely original (he essentially taught himself magic without the benefit of any magic books, mentors or instructions. As a result, his methods are unique..Some are hard; some are easier. A lot of his magic seems to rely or suggest optical illusions.

Most of his card magic relies mostly on one or two sleights...so, if you learn these sleights, you'll be able to do a lot of his card magic.

And, even if you don't plan on learning any of his effects (for performances purposes), just watching his performances and learning his sleights and his magic philosphy is worthwhile in and of itself.

IMHO

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
The Jerry Andrus tapes are really good. I especially enjoyed the interview sessions with Richard Kaufman. The performances are pretty good, however, sometimes they are lacking.

K.C.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I must admit I had a different opinion of the video's
the stuff to me was clever... but that's the problem it just looked clever not magic. take zone zero as an example let a lay person of reasonable inteligents watch the performance and ask truly what they thought. I bet that it is a kin to juggling or fancy flourishes clever but they know that the ball is passed aroung behined the board.. to me there was no magic.
Phillip
Jason K.
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Jason K.
I agree with Phillip.

I'd also like to add that Jerry Andrus wasn't a professional magician, only a hobbiest. That's why his presentational skills are lacking (Thank god for those extremely over-enthusiastic "audience" members. Boy did they get annoying fast. . .)
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I love Jerry Andrus' work and thinking...he's a brilliant,inovative and creative individual. That said,if your choice is between the Andrus Tapes, which are a treat to watch, and The Art of Astonishment trilogy, purchase the books and you will truly have a "Lifetime of Magic" at your disposal.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Anyone knows if the jerry andrus video set will be available on dvd in the near future?
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
You cannot go wrong with the AOA books.
Tony Chapparo
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2003-09-19 12:19, wikiro wrote:
...Im taking back the Genuis at work DVD's...

Wikiro:

If I understand your post you were saying that you did not like the Sheridan DVDs. Do I understand you correctly? If so, why did you dislike these DVDs?

Gianni
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
I couldn't stand the videos. I thought most of the magic on them was borderline pathetic. I found his presentational style terrifying to watch. Even the myriad of optical illusions he showed started to look the same after a while. While you might certainly find one or two items you like, I doubt even the price of the videos is worth the price of the videos.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.