The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Vendor Fees, What is Reasonable? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I normally pitch Svens a couple of times a month at area flea markets. I want to start pitching at area street fairs and festivals. What are normal fees for an average event? I don't want to get burned on the vendor fees.

Also, some events are requiring liability insurance from each vendor. What is the average cost, and is there an insurance company anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

LeoH
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
It depends on what you think you can make. I usually like to pay between 100 - 200 a day for an event where I think I can average 500 – 1000+ a day. Sometimes I'll pay 25% of gross sales as well (instead of rent) if it can be arranged, or if you work in another vendors spot. You can also negotiate lower or no fees since your demo is entertaining. If the event is heavily promoted and it is some kind of regular occurrence (like a fair or home show) then it will probably be well attended.

There are a lot variables to consider (how far you have to travel, parking, security, do people have to pay to get into the event, etc.), but the true test is just trying it out, you never know until you do it. Sometimes I try to walk an event the year before I sign on as an actual vendor to see if it will be worth it and talk to other vendors.

Here is a good company to check out for insurance for performers or vendors:
http://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com/
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Thanks much. I'll check out the insurance site today.

There is a spring event that I am considering that is charging $600 for space for 2 days, but it is a large regional event with lots of people.
I know that pretty much of anything is a "crap shoot", so I'll probably give it a go.

LeoH
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
That seems like a lot to me for a two day event (don't forget all you other costs involved), but you never know. Also lots of people does not equal lots of sales, especially if the event is open to the public and they don't have to pay to get in. You are better off making balloon animals for tips and not paying the vendor fee.

Look into county fairs, you can get in for less and they are more days and the people usally come with a budget.

Here is another tip. I usally take a break in vendor shows between easter and memorial day weelend. I have not found any events in my region worth it for me, for what I sell.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2735 Posts

Profile of sethb
That does sound excessive, regardless of how big the event is. And what happens if it rains and you lose one day, or both days?

Remember, you are just selling $5 - $10 magic tricks, not gold bricks. You'd need to sell an awful lot just to make your nut, let alone make a profit. Some of these events make all their money from vendor fees, and could care less how the vendors come out. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I wouldn't pay $600 for just two days unless I was pitching DRUGS.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Thanks guys. I'll pass on the event.

Don: I ordered your video when it was 1st released.........watched the heck out of it until scratches will not let it play anymore. Just ordered a new one from School for Scoundrels. Thanks for making the info available to us.

LeoH
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2735 Posts

Profile of sethb
In my neck of the woods, most street fairs and festivals charge between $75 and $100 for a one-day spot, with some running a bit lower at $50 to $65.

In at least my opinion, that is enough to satisfy the show organizers, and also gives the vendors a reasonable chance of making a decent profit. This also assumes that the show organizer actually carries through with adequate advertising, posters and flyers prior to the event, which doesn't always happen. But when "the planets align properly" and you have a nice day, a good location, with lots of foot traffic and plenty of kids with their allowance money to spend, you can do just fine. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Special Insurance is a decent outfit. We have been with Stephanie for many years now. As for prices of fairs and festivals, it would probably depend on what part of the country you are in. Out here in the west, fees are insufferable for both fairs and festivals.
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
I do a lot of gun shows, train shows, computer shows. They cost from $40-%70 for 1-2 days, depending on the show. But then, I'm a cheapskate!

Jon