The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: First impressions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I'm talking about much more than mere appearence. Oh, look, he's tall.... I'm talking about the whole package. Jimmy Durante for example was not a particularly 'handsome' man, but WHAT a personality, what a great fun he was to watch perform. Why?

My late friend Mike Rogers was one of the most extraordinary performers I have ever watched. He was charismatic in the most 'gentle' use of that term and completely impossible to not like. Put Mike as a performer doing, say, Peter Rabbit up agains ANY other performer doing the most amazing trick they have at their commmand and I honestly believe Mike would have won the "Who did you like better contest."

And, it IS a contest. Hopefully. In the end it would be nice to believe that given a great magical entertainer and a so-so magical entertainer the hoi-polli would be able to discern something different between them enough so that they would select the better performer.
Brad Burt
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 13:16, BarryFernelius wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 11:44, Stellan wrote:
I suspect you are right. The best magicians know what they are doing and that shows. They are able to form a kind of gestalt that influences people.

I'm a magician member of the Academy of Magical Arts, aka The Magic Castle. To become a magician member, you must pass an audition. I was talking with Jack Goldfinger and his wife Dove about these auditions. Jack claims that he can tell whether someone knows what he/she is doing in the first 5-10 seconds. I have no reason to doubt him.

(Granted, Jack has seen a lot of magicians, both good and bad. He's probably better at this than most other people.)

There may, however, also be some confirmation bias at work in the situation you describe. If he makes an internal determination in the first 5-10 seconds, that may contribute to his post-audition decision, at least in close cases.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Turn the sound off and watch Louis Armstrong or Ray Charles. It is the passion and the joy.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Yeah, but they got nothin' on this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmtzQCSh6xk
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."